Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Josie is getting over pneumonia, and I have to give her an anti-biotic that comes in a capsule (2 pills, 3 times a day). She (and I) are getting tired of it. I've been giving them to her for a couple of weeks now, and we have a couple more to go. At first it was no big deal, but she's catching on, and is starting to rebel by spitting them out.

I made little hamburger patties that I stuck the pills in, and she was eating them fine for a while. I'd put it in her mouth, then hold her chin up so she would eat it without spitting it out and that was ok. But now if she can smell the pill in the meat, she won't even take it, or if she does take it, she's quick to spit it out once she realizes there's a pill in it. And if she can't spit it out, she'll just keep it in her mouth for as long as I hold her head up and mouth closed, and then spit it out once I get tired of waiting... I've moved on to hot dogs, bologna, and chicken. They might work once or twice, but now the result is generally the same: she spits the pill out.

Other things I've tried: cheese whiz, cream cheese, peanut butter, canned food, other treats. Marshmallows were suggested to me, but alas, Josie doesn't like sweets. She didn't want anything to do with it.

What other tricks are there for getting pills in our beags? We have another 2 weeks of this, and it's getting harder everyday.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Are the capsules the kind you can break open, if so you could sprinkle the meds on some canned food or something else that is moist that she will eat. Although you have probably already tried, lol. Sorry I know it's a pain to give them pills. The only thing that has worked for me is to put their pill in some bread and make a dough ball out of it and toss it in the air for them to catch and they don't even know it's in there.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
About the only thing that works when I have to give Maggie pills is hot dogs. I cut a small round slice, stick the pill into the center of the hot dog, and it works every time...she gulps it down without even noticing the pill. Hope you get some good ideas!

·
Registered
287 Posts
With Grayson's pills, I put them in the back of his mouth, so that he doesn't really have a chance to not swallow it. I immediately follow it up with a piece of hot dog, so he doesn't loathe taking the medication.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: Beagle MomAre the capsules the kind you can break open, if so you could sprinkle the meds on some canned food or something else that is moist that she will eat. Although you have probably already tried, lol. Sorry I know it's a pain to give them pills. The only thing that has worked for me is to put their pill in some bread and make a dough ball out of it and toss it in the air for them to catch and they don't even know it's in there.
I asked the vet about this when I was first given the pills. They are those kind of capsules (compounded specially at the pharmacy), but the vet told me not to because it's pretty potent stuff and can actually get me sick if exposed (I have to wear rubber gloves when handling them). I'll try the dough ball idea though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: Quinn&GraysonWith Grayson's pills, I put them in the back of his mouth, so that he doesn't really have a chance to not swallow it. I immediately follow it up with a piece of hot dog, so he doesn't loathe taking the medication.
I've gotten a few down there like this when she wasn't looking. But generally, when she sees it coming now, she will clench her mouth shut and try to pull away while I have a hold of her collar with the other hand (it's actually really cute to watch her stubbornness if it wasn't for the seriousness of the moment).

Again, for the first week and a half, this wasn't that big a deal. But after a couple of weeks at 6 pills a day, she's had enough. I imagine a few have broken in her mouth, and they probably don't taste good.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have fairly good luck with cheese. I usually give one small piece (no pill) and make a big deal out of it. Then another piece (with pill) and followed with a third piece (no pill). I try to make #2 and #3 as quick as I can. It also helps that I have 3 dogs and the other two are eager as can be about treats and no body wants to miss out or not get their share of the goodies! I have, on occassion, been able to disguise a pill is a newly opened jar of chicken baby food. The bigger the pill though, the bigger the blob of baby food required.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are specially made treats just for this purpose. i never used them because snoopy thinks everything should be eaten. Maybe somebody here has tried them. They have pill pockets for you to slip the pill in them. Any pet store would have them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My Maggie was on 10 meds a day for a long period of time. I never used any camoflage with them although I usually had to get them ready for her when she wasn't looking at me. She definitely knew where her meds were kept! There is a little pocket on the inside of each cheek (on outside of teeth) where I would stick the pill and hold her mouth shut until she swallowed. Capsules are difficult because they are very dry and get caught easily in the mouth/throat. It is best to give them after the pup has had some water so the mouth is moist.

One of the problems with pill pockets is that they are very small and it is hard to wrap them around any but the smallest pills. They are also expensive.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We've always had good luck with Brie cheese - it is squishy and can be wrapped all the way around the pill so it isn't obvious the pill is in there. We also do the same thing as BoulderBeagles - give a pill-less piece first then once the feeding frenzy starts slip in the one with the pill and then have another ready so they will eat the second one fast to get to the third.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I take a slice of processed cheese, squish it together and make 3 cheese balls, one ball has the pill in it. I put all three cheese balls on my hand and let Caesar them all. He doesn't even notice, actually I don't even think he chews!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I was giving Maggie pills in Velveeta cheese because its sticky and she can't get the pill out. I have,however, discovered that I don't need to put them in anything. I just say do you want this bite and she eats the pill.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Booker wants Maggie and Caesar to know that they need to get more picky about eating pills and see if that works to move up from Velveeta and/or processed cheese to a lovely French brie!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Tell Booker I'll pass the message on but Maggie rarely turns down food. Just black olives and lettuce with no dressing.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Heaven help us if our beagles could get together and compare notes!! If they had opposable thumbs, they would have us out smarted. lol

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally Posted By: jassyTell Booker I'll pass the message on but Maggie rarely turns down food.
I agree, Caesar isn't picky so I think I'll keep the Brie for myself

·
Registered
443 Posts
You mentioned that when she see's you coming with the pill - that may be the secret. If at all possible, keep her in a different room then get the pill ready - wrap it in a piece of Velveeta cheese or stick it in a glob of p-nut butter - maybe one without the pill first and one with as has been mentioned before. Then call her - she will just see the treats, no pills.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts