Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we have a little problem...

as some of you might have read summer is nearly 6 months old, she is doing good with house training with the odd accident now and then but the real problem is when someone visits or when the family come home from work ( she is never left at home for more than 3 hours), when we get in she is really excited and "dribbles" and sometime it can be quite a lot.

we have tried ignoring her for a bit when we come in sometimes up to 30 Min's or so but she still does it when you first pet her.

we have tried letting her out in the garden as soon as we come home she does her business outside but still dribbles when she comes in at the initial petting.

its now getting embarrassing when we have visitors come to see us and its a real strain on my wife who is 5 months pregnant she feels as if she is constantly mopping the floors.

so i was wondering if anyone else has suffered this "problem" and if there is a cure or anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it, thanks for any help

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well.... YES! You have a puppy, a beagle puppy.
To top the fact that their only wish in life is to be with you, when you get home after even 5 minutes you were gone, they get overly excited.
Some get more excited more than the others. It's pretty common. You basically have nothing to do other than ignoring her for a bit until she calms down and wait until she grows out of it... :thumbup:

G

·
0 Posts
lol *not meaning to laugh* however My Charlie did the same thing and he was not as young as yours, he had the same problem. nothing seemed to work.

You know what did work though?

Him running away for 5 days.
When he was found, since then he has not done such in the house.
Nature musta taught him *THE OUTSIDE WORLD IS WHERE YOU GO POTTY*

WARNING I don't recommend you loseing your dog for this to work*
*laughs* Ok I wanted to make light of the situation, because it worked the runaway style*
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
509 Posts
hi Im glad you posted this because Glover sometimes dribbles too, its when he gets over excited... so Ill be glad to get some advice too.

Although I have thought of it as he is just a puppy (4 months) and cant really hold it in propperly, espesiallly when excited! even though he has just done a wee outside he dribbles if someone interesting comes to pat him...

hope u get some answeres!

x
K

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have no experience with this, but isn't peeing when being pet a sign of submission? I thought I read that somewhere...

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Iknow exactly what you are talking about. Spencer was like this as a pup and I was told that he would grow out of it. Well, I hate to tell you but he is now over 3 years old and still does it as much as he did from day 1. I have been told that it is the muscles around the bladder that are just not strong enough to hold it when he gets excited. People have learned to point him away when petting him or not to pet him at all. He has peed on almost every person I know. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleWeegle:

WARNING I don't recommend you loseing your dog for this to work*

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
to late i read the first part of your post and let summer loose :animal18:

ha ha only joking, thanks for the replys so far and i hope she just grows out of it fingers crossed

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel does this too... he used to do it a lot... but when i come home i go in set my stuff down take my coat off etc... then i make him sit and then i pet him... but if he stands up again i make him sit then pet him.... he seems to dribble when he is sitting... but seeings how he is always so excited it is, at times, hard to get him to stay sitting....

but hopefully that helps

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey did this on the rare occassion when she was a puppy. It seems that she out grew it. Amber however did it all of her life. I too think she peed on everyone that ever petted her. She'd get so excited and go into a submissive squat and then there was a puddle. :redface: We learned that it helped if we took her out to potty whenever anyone came over. That gave her time to calm down and emptied out her bladder.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Our Spook is 3-1/2 years old and still sometimes dribbles when he greets us. The encouraging thing is that I haven't noticed it as much lately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My mom has a pom and when she was a puppy and got over excited,like whenever we would come home after being gone all day or when she would meet someone new, she would dribble. It just went away with time.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Marley began doing this from day one, whenever he got anxious or excited. In fact, any time we go to the Vet, his bladder goes all loosy goosy and he cannot hold a thing. It's embarrassing sometimes but they assure me they get that all the time, and they just clean it up. He does it with company at the house too. He is 8 months old now and it's a little better. Vet said he'd grow out of it.

Here's what helps me - we try to contain his excitement, do not let him jump up on us when w get home and go crazy. We make him sit to say hello, or we ignore him until he calms down and can sit. When company comes, they are told no contact until a little while later to take the excitement off. Then, no BABY/PUPPY talk, all excited like, etc. THat would make him pee on command like nothing to it. He gets so excited with that.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie used to do this. I never made a big deal of it. Just cleaned the floor and went on as though nothing had happened. I had forgotten about it until I read this post but it isn't happening any more.

·
Registered
862 Posts
lol Boeing is a 'grown man' now and he still does this especially when his favorite people (apart from us :hi: ) come to our house and there's nothing we can do but to clean up after him :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
:hysterical: sorry that I laughed.
Charlie did it maybe a week ago when I vacuumed. He is very afraid of that mini vacuum cleaner(only for hard wood floor). He went into my daughter's room and peed on the carpet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
But I do not think he has drippling problem.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Is a growing up thing, their muscles are still developing and when they get excited they forget themselves and dribble but they do grow out of it.

We took Willow into a pub when she was still young and the landlord called her over to him and she dribbled all the way across the pub floor, fortunatly it was a wooden floor and the landlord had a sence of humour, but it was embarassing at the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts