Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a place that sells extra wide baby/puppy gates? My house is very open, and I really only have one place to put a gate, but it's 65 inches wide. The baby gate that I have is not wide enough, plus, when I gated off the bathroom when we first brought Maggie home, she was able to climb up and over it within the first week. So not only do I need a wide gate, but it also must have vertical slats so she can't climb it.

I REALLY need to be able to gate off an area until she gets the potty training thing. And as many of you know, she just isn't getting it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I found a really wide one at Babies-R-Us (I think it expands to 6'). Not only is it wide enough for our living room entrance, it's also a white iron look, so it looks decent against our white railing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I needed one that was over 100 for our construction and we found a wooden one at Wal-Mart. It just has bars so there was no netting to get a paw into to crawl over. It is just the right height for all of us to climb over. We bought this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4380102

Since it was just temporary, I bought the most inexpensive gate I could find. Too bad I didn't think about the fact that it works great to keep a Beagle from getting the pizza guy!!!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found one! After measuring the area again, I came up with 61 inches, so I found this extra-tall, extra-wide gate that should work perfectly...I'm soooooooo excited!

Now I will be able to gate Maggie off in a large area (she'll have access to the kitchen and family room only) and the really good thing is that those two areas are completely tiled...so easy clean up from all her potty messes!

Hopefully this will just be temporary, but the way she's (not) catching on to the potty training business, temporary could mean another freakin' year.

Here's the one I just bought online...except mine will be white with two 10.5 inch extensions:

Baby Gate

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I believe Foster & Smith sells extra wide gates - I bought one from Montgomery Ward. Someone on my beagle group once posted one that her husband had made - from white picket fencing - which can be bought in sections. It looked VERY nice. The only room I have gated now is the laundry roon - since they have a habit of getting into the laundry baskets - whether they're full of clean or dirty clothes. The net baby gates are super easy for little pups to climb over - don't think I've had a pup yet over 8 weeks that can't get over those easily.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That's the same gate I got for our front entry, although mine is white. It has worked out well to keep them away from the front door. I swear I have more baby gates now that I did when the kids were small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts