Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, Sydney is actually a little pudgy which is why I decided to haul out the treadmill for them. Today was only their 2nd time on it, they are doing awesome. We have only been doing 10 minutes each. And don't worry, I am right in front of them to hit the stop if I ever need to.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That is great! How on Earth do you get them to do that?
Spencers face is angelic! That's a great shot of him!
Do they both "exercise"?

I'm intrigued....

~Denise

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the two of them in the video. The first one was Spencer then the 2nd one was Sydney. I have just started them on it these past couple of days. I have heard that if you are having "issues" sometimes it can be lack of exercise. I am thinking if I can teach them to run on it, that along with our walks might actually help wear them out more.

All I did was tie a leash on to the top so that they can't go too far back but not too tight, there is slack on it enough for them to move foreward and backward a bit as they run. I sit in front of the treadmill and give them treats, it lures them to walk toward you and the treat. I was surprised how easy it was to get them to go on it. It is even a pretty loud one, and they aren't scared of the noise. Just be sure to start really slow, like a very slow walk, then as they seem to be comfortable, turn it up a notch.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's great! When I was in physical therapy, I was put on the treadmill a few times, and must say that Spencer & Sydney are doing much better than I. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

·
Registered
225 Posts
Although if you have a scared beagle, like Blue, he will run from the treadmill without it being turned on!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

We have been trying all winter and he will finally step on it when it is off, but totally freaks out when we turn it on. Oh well, that's my dog!!!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Oh my gosh, that is great! We have a treadmill and have often talked about teaching Duke to use it, but I have to admit I've been to scared to try (or lazy,LOL). You have encouraged me to give it a shot this weekend. Very cool and how fun for Spencer and Sydney!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I'm quite sure that Rosa would think it an instrument of torture and run a mile from it...but she wouldn't need to get on it then would she /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

Sherry would probably love it as she is very facinated by anything different.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actualy, Sydney is scared of everything so I was surprised that she did so well from the beginning. Once it gets to a comfortable trotting speed, they do great. The thing you have to remember is to stay calm and don't be scared that they will freak out. They can sense that off of you and think that they should be scared too. Just put them on, leash them up and turn it on. Most beagles are food motivated so just sit in front and hold out a treat. They quickly forget that they are on it and just go for the treat. Start off slow and when they are looking comfortable, speed it up a notch. They seem to like it a lot.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif

That's one way for beags to get exercise in bitterly cold Canada /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif very cool idea!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Great job teaching them. Now next time you visit you can teach my 2 plumb girls how it's done. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Absolutely 7beaglelady, it really is so much easier than you would think. Sydney is getting a little plump, I would love for her to lose some weight, what better way, right?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I haven't got a treadmill but my nextdoor neighbour has. Do you think she would mind if I knocked on her door with two Beagles in tow and asked if I could let them have a go /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/greendevil.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wish I had a treadmill. I could actually get the one my uncle doesn't use (has it for 4 years now... slap me if he used it more than twice!!) but I don't have the room to put it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL Jennifer, that would be funny if you actually did that.

Eleanor: that really sucks that you actually have one you could probably use but have no where for it to go. In the old house we had it in the spare room, here it is just in the unfinished basement so it is quite handy.

·
Registered
862 Posts
How great!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup2.gif Both of them seem to be in great shape. I don't know how my Boeing would react if he were put on a treadmill.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts