Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I told my hubby the funny story of Cesar escaping and going from door to door, and the neighbor who felt he was watched and looked up to find the cute little beagley face looking in his window! He laughed and asked me if I thought that Shiloh would go over to Tony and Rhonda's house (they live next door and love Shiloh--of course). I said No that she would probably go to the next door neighbor on the other side because she loves to sniff their yard. And then she'd just keep going, sniffing her way to goodness knows where. He said, "See, that's why I don't want to have another beagle. I want a dog who will come home if he gets loose." So I looked down at my sweet Shiloh sitting by my feet (I was eating at the time :grr:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Aww! It's not just beagles that don't come home when they get loose. My parents' current dog, a dachshund mix, has to be on a tie out to use the bathroom. If she gets loose, she's as good as gone. But my my parents' old dog (RIP Jessie, she passed earlier this year after 16 good years), she never had to be on a tie out. She would go potty and come back. But sometimes, she liked to explore so she would wander off in the neighborhood. Never fear though, she would come right back. My brother's dogs, a lab puppy and a greyhound/collie mix, don't need to be on a leash either. They come back even if they wander off. And besides, I don't care if my beagle is required to always be on a leash! He's the best kind of dog and I wouldn't trade him for the world! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Now husbands, they can be traded...just kidding! :lol2:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have a used husband for sale also. He adores our girls, Cecil and Brandy...and Brandy is his while Cecil is mine; however, he also has stated that he wished for a dog that could go out without a leash. But he melt for the girls all the time. He does walk them less, or at least Brandy and I walk more. My girls will always get their two miles a day in even if I always have to be the only dog walker. I would not trade my beagles for any other breed!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yep believe me it's not just Beagles who have the wanderlust. There are quite a few people at the obedience school I go to who say they can NEVER let their dogs off lead and wouldn't trust them to come home if they got loose from the garden. And they aren't Beagles, not even hounds but just a mixed variety of breeds.

Bless Shiloh for sitting at your feet waiting patiently for a teenie weenie bit of food you might drop :lol2:

If Rosa got out my garden (she never has) I'm sure she would come back but I know Lilly never would have....she would have headed for the hills and been long gone :rolleyes:

Oh and I'll pass on the used husband thanks as I already have one of those!!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Every time Caesar does something "bad" (like escape!) my fiance will say to me "And you want another Beagle?" Of coarse I want another Beagle! He says that our next dog will be a guard dog, not one that likes strangers. But Shane wouldn't trade Caesar for anything. Maybe I could trade my fiance for another Beagle? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby has gotten out a few times since we've had her and she has always comes home by herself, assuming we weren't able catch her/couldn't find her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw-www, Shiloh, ignore your daddy's remark. A lot of dogs like to go exploring. Our Traveler has that name for a reason. :eyes: He'd come back, but it might take awhile. Happily for our pack, they have a big fenced area. Before they got that, we'd walk them. Misty and Miss Priss would walk nicely and stay close, the rest had to be leashed.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I think you all are missing the point. Beagles WILL come home to the pack when they are done but that is if and only if they can avoid the dangers (Cars, Coyotes, Cougars, mean people, mean dogs, etc....). It is the peril that these dangers present while the beagle is on his/her adventure that worries me! They are friendly so hopefully someone nice will take them in and call! If I lived on a place like the ranch I grew up on the Bagel would not need to be contained but that is a luxury few of us or our beagles have.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I have a husband who is partially trained, we'll get there one day!!!Give it another ten years!

He makes up his own commands for the dogs, hilarious when they totally ignore him

Hannah (13) is great with the dogs and is very hands-on! I think the beagle gene got her as well!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:Originally posted by Jennifer:

Oh and I'll pass on the used husband thanks as I already have one of those!!
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Nice to know beags aren't the only wanderers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts