Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never traveled with (all three) dogs before, and I am trying to decide if I want to make the trip to Tampa in August. My vehicle is a small extra-cab truck, so that is out. I was considering renting a small SUV, but my main concern was whether or not to keep the dogs in a kennel while on the road. Basically I need some help from those who have traveled with their dogs as far as how to prepare, lodging, etc. I could rent a large van for a little less than the SUV, gas mileage would be a bit worse, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more if it made the trip more comfortable for me and the pooches! Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cant give you great advice but here are my thoughts from traveling with my beagle. My beagle does great without a crate when we travel, he trends to sleep most of the time in the passenger seat. When we stop, even for a stop sign, he wakes up and checks to see whats going on. But, I guess this would depend on your beagles temperments. If the three are going to be playing while you are driving, I would recommend crates as could they distract your driving. In addition to that, if you do rent a larger vehicle, such as a van or suv, and they have a play area to stretch and run a bit, if the need to stop suddenly occurs they will be thrown farther than a secured crate.

Also, on my first trip with Willie, I somehow forgot to bring water. Duh. Make sure to bring water and a water dish with you so that they can something to drink at rest and potty stops. An empty milk jug works great and can be filled at the rest stops. I ended up buying bottled water from a vending machine, drinking half, and cutting the bottle in two so he could drink. Not the best but it worked.

Always call ahead and book reservations for a hotel, if needed. Most hotels arent pet friendly, and even if they are without a reservation you might find the only one in the area booked.

Also, if your dogs get motion sickness or anxious while traveling, you can get meds to help with it. Might be a good idea to get a few doses just in case.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have travelled thousands of miles with our two. They are good travellers. Please use a crate, which is safer. Just braking hard can throw the dogs through the car. We have a large cage in our car with a comfy bed in it. They snuggle up and sleep until we stop. Always take them out of the car on the lead/leash, too many dogs can panic or run off for other reasons, getting lost or killed. Water is essential. We always keep to their meal times as well. We have travelled a lot in camper-cars, ideal with dogs, but also in our car. Check out hotels/motels in advance, or campsites if camping, that dogs are allowed. Once there take the dogs for a nice long walk. We take the dogs beds with us if staying in hotels, they settle better.
Get them used to car in small stages, long before your big trip.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Same here, we have travelled from Philadelphia PA to Tampa FL (~1100 miles one way) a number of times. Figure on stopping evry 3-4 hours (or as needed). Walk them for 20 minutes or so. Have plenty of water and snacks for everyone. There are plenty of dog friendly hotels/motels out there if you want to make it a 2 day trip. We usually drive south over 2 days and back in 1 day.

Yes, always use a leash and always have a copy of the vaccination papers handy (your vet can supply these) in case something should happen.

·
Registered
103 Posts
SuperCrew truck, back seat folded up, dog bed put on floor with blanket, they sleep the ride away. We stop for pee breaks when they tell us too (wake up and whine).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We've made the trip from Tampa to Atlanta several times with Jersey. Fortunately for us, Jersey is a great little traveler. She watches the world out of her windows and falls asleep once we're on the Interstate. We set up the back seat for her with her crate and harness her into the seat belt. We stop every few hours for a potty break and to stretch all of our legs. Like Joe, we always have extra copies of her vaccination papers with us, just in case. Some dogs are better travelers than others. I would do a couple of short trial runs to make sure your crew will be OK before heading out for a long road trip.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We haven't traveled with the present pack since we have a petsitter to care for them. I just want to tell you that all LaQuinta Inns are pet friendly.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I take Snoopy with me everywhere. She is a very good traveler. The back of our SUV is HERS. We have a pet net which contains her in the back. She has a bed and sleeps most of the time. We took a longer trip in October and decided to take our P/U truck with extended cab. She isn't used to riding in that vehicle so we used a crate. I couldn't imagine traveling with three dogs without crating them. Plus, if you plan on staying in a motel at any point, definitely call ahead. Even pet-friendly motels some times put limits on one dog per room. We had to go out of town to a wedding last fall and had a very hard time finding a motel to accomodate a pet.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the tips, especially asking about lodging that places limitations on the number of dogs!! I'm going this week to look at the cargo van from Enterprise. $300 a week unlimited mileage isn't bad. I made the trip to Tampa some years ago from here and it was 11 hours one-way. Since I haven't been on a trip in four years (since I got the dogs), it would be great to get out and meet some of you!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
We've found that even the places that officially limit it to one or two dogs will usually let us stay with three or even four if we ask REALLY nicely... it is probably a good idea to try to make those sort of arrangements in advance, though, if having somewhere to stay is going to be dependent on finding someone to stretch the rules.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.