Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lola has settled in well. She n Luigi get along fine, although they fight over everything, from toys to the smallest rawhides, but it never gets violent, so i just put that down to beagles being beagles...

The peeing thing hasn't changed. She still pees inside constantly. And now, she has pooped inside several times. It's concerning. Again, suggestions (other than be patient she's a puppy etc) would really be appreciated. We're putting her out alot, but she doesn't seem to be getting it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You know, with JoJo, we say, Go Potty whenever we go outside. If she's going, we'll say, Good, go potty!
She's pretty good about it now. When we first adopted her, we had many accidents.
Also, try getting her on a good predictable schedule. An hour after they eat, right after they wake up, etc. There are predictable times that they'll have to go. And if you can anticipate those times and get her out, she'll start to catch on. Perhaps she's being put out too often?? (we ran into that, too, being worried about accidents in the house)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
We took the obnoxious cheerleader approach with our dogs' housebreaking, and treats were definitely employed here. You have to be consistent and diligent about putting her out, and if you watch Lola closely, she may exhibit behavior before she uses the potty that could indicate she needs to go. It means a lot of attention to the dog and little attention to anything else you want to do. We had some problems in my house last year while trying to train Bones; it was exacerbated by not enough attention being paid to her, as my boyfriend, our housemate, and I spent a lot of time playing video games or watching movies when we should have been watching her. We started giving her the attention she needed; I'm not saying it was a magic bullet, but it helped her get it. And I agree with tntnjmom about implementing a consistent routine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Lucky was a tough cookie, too. One thing I realized with him was that I had to monitor when he could have water. He will drink till it's gone and within 30 minutes he would (and still will if I let it happen) pee in the house. I can't have a water out all the time anymore. I give Lucky water at certain times of day and I watch (or listen) to how long he drinks. If it is a lot, I know to take him out in 15-20 minutes.

I think I have heard somewhere, too, that having scheduled water creates a pee schedule. It makes sense, I guess!

On the poop. One, Lucky gets bulge-y in that area when he needs to go. I've learned to watch for it! Two, his poop accidents were usually the same time of day - morning or late evening. Especially late in the evening. I had to walk him a lot in the evenings before he finally got it on schedule!

You are not alone. I remember being so frustrated and actually posting that Lucky had to be dumber than a box of rocks! He is much more subtle at telling me he needs to go out. Toby gets in my face and whines. Lucky just quietly comes and sits next to me, usually putting his face on my knee.

·
Registered
865 Posts
One other thing. I have to walk Lucky by himself to get him to do his business. Lucky is easily distracted and that = accidents every time from him!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I know you said you didn't want to hear be patient, she's a puppy but I have to say it anyway. Be consistent with your training (you didn't have any problems training Luigi, right?) and I'm sure she'll come around. All dogs train differently, and I've potty trained plenty of dogs, but NEVER have I had one as difficult as Maggie has been. She's 15 months old, and she's just now FINALLY getting it! Hang in there...Lola is still settling in, but she will get it too!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally Posted By: Toby & LuckyI forgot ask, are you crate training?
No...Lola stays in the laundry room with Luigi when we go anywhere or when we go to bed.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You might try a crate. She may not love it at first, but she may not be willing to pee/poop in it and that will help you. Then, you take them directly outside everytime you take them out of the crate. They learn that they have to go potty before they get to play.

Feeding them in the crate teaches them it is a good place, helping them not to hate it. Toby actually loves his crate, Lucky, he tolerates it!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts