Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Will be bringing a new 10 week old puppy home this Saturday. We also have two older, extremely tolerant and friendly cats. Thus, there is a litter box in our house.

Litter boxes to all dogs are like little chests of buried treasure. Thus, I want to keep this area off limits. In addition, the cats are free fed and I want to make sure he doesn't eat the cat's food as well. So, that goes together.

Now, if I just wanted to make the area off limits, that's easy. But, the area must still be accessible by cats.

As the puppy gets older, it is easy. I can either get a gate that has a small pet door that the cats fit through and he does not, or I can do an e-collar that won't allow him in that room. And when he first comes home, it will be easy as he will not be left alone to explore the litter box.

But, need an idea for that in between age. Any thoughts, recomendations?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, though the kids are now 5 and 9, we still haven't un-babyproofed the way our house is set up. I have nephews that are 4, 2, and 8 months, so have not moved beyond the phase in life where all social events include toddlers yet. The act of baby proofing and puppy proofing is very similar, the only difference is what they do with stuff when they get it (suck and throw on ground versus chewing).

We do have an enclosed litter pan (look like a pet carrier), so it is somewhat high. Plus, there will be no unsupervised time near the littler box for a while. I am more worried about when he is about 5 months to a year old.

I have thought about elevating the litter box, but have no idea how/ where. Plus, with cat food and a garbage can in the same room, am looking for a way to beagle proof the entire room. Which also happens to be the laundry room.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, once he gets older, the solutions are simpler. Litter box, garbage can will both be in laundry room where they are now. Problem is a puppy. I plan on getting a small baby gate. Once he can defeat that measure, I know he is probably ready for a more permanent solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.