Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 3 year old beagle is limping. We first noticed the limping at the end of March after a week long visit with my parents lab. They of course played a lot while she was at our house. It was quite worse than is is now. It seems that the leg that bothers her the most is the back left. Once and awhile she will show favoritism to her right leg, and other times she is fine. She seems to be the worse if she runs around a lot during the day and then sleeps for a couple of hours. When she gets up she limps for awhile, but then seems to be normal.

I really noticed that it was bad when I took her for a walk at the beginning of April and that night she was crying when she tried to walk and if I pulled her leg to far to the side (like I was spreading her legs) it would make her yelp. Now though... she makes no sounds of pain no matter what I do and I have not taken her for a real walk since (once to the park and she limped a little later but not nearly that bad.)

I know i should have already taken her to the vet, but like most Americans we are very strapped for cash. I am afraid he is gonna want to do xrays that are gonna cost me a fortune.

Has anyone had similar problems to this? Any advise would be very helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
It might just be a pulled muscle. Tucker has had this issue before and it usually just takes care of itself if we limit his activity for a few days. We did consult the vet the first time it happened and she said as long as it ddidn't get worse, it should be ok. We have a good relationship with the vet so sometimes we can just call her and she will let us know if we need to bring him in.
Now at 8, Tucker might have a little bit of arthritus.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer limps off and on. Its arthritis in her front shoulder. She has had it since we got her at 1-1/2 years old. Probably an injury from when she was a street urchin. When its really noticeable, we give her a baby aspirin.

Just limit her activity for a while. It should clear up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
When my other dog **** starts limping I also give him baby asprin. Its alot cheaper than the doggie asprin they sell. they're both 81mg.

·
Registered
350 Posts
there are sites that show you h0w to massage your dogs different muscles. this could be useful to determine if it is a pulled muscle or something else.
c.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much. We will see if the baby asprin helps when she seems to be bad. Like I said... I think she has gotten better, so we will see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.