Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while ago i posed pics (im puppy sitting till chrismas...) of my cousins puppy lilly and my puppy diesel..

the other day we found out that lilly is blind in one eye. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

i had some questions... what causes this??
when i was watching her she didnt look full beagle. her legs were tiny and skinny. her nose is really round and not so square.

i asked my aunt some questions about the breeder and she couldnt answer them. i asked if she was papered and she said yes but kinda hesitated a bit when answering. when i had her we had a scare after she ate she blew up like a baloon and we figured out it was the food she was eating, but i had asked my aunt if she had worming medication and she said she didnt know, the breader didnt tell her.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds as though the "breeder" wasn't a very responsible person. I have all health information for my puppies, when someone adopts one of my babies, they get his/her health records, along with the name of my vet, as well as the AKC litter registration papers so they can be registered. Any responsible breeder is WILLING to tell you about the pups' history - and anyone buying from a breeder SHOULD ask questions. I suspect your aunt bought or possibly was given the pup by someone who didn't know what they were doing - perhaps a byb - and not someone who is truly interested in genetics of the breed.
I don't know what causes the blindness - but I do know that no matter how careful you are, what good nutrition you provide, how much you spend on vet care, THINGS CAN GO WRONG - and sometimes do. I've lost puppies - and it is heartbreaking - and my dogs DO get the best care I can give them - good quality food, vet care, lots of love, they're all "house dogs", pups are well-socialized, they're NOT "overbred", my JoJo will possibly have her third litter this spring - and will probably be spayed afterward. IF you're buying a pup from a breeder - PLEASE do ask questions. A good breeder LOVES to talk about his/her puppies and is willing to share information with you!
I'm sorry about little "Lily" - but she should be able to have a long healthy life with proper care and love.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I remember the pictures you posted... Lily had one eye that looked as if directed sideways...

The "breeder" was probably not a responsible one, and I'm guessing your aunt wasn't aware of all the questions that needed to be asked.
I believe you are not even thinking about taking Lily back, or anything like that. I would simply suggest your aunt (go with her) take Lily to the vet for a full and comprehensive check-up. Ask a lot of questions and demand answers. I belive the vet should be able to answer most of them if not all.
Many dogs live a perfectly healthy and full life with only one eye functioning. This shouldn't worry you.

As long as you know everything else is okay and she is healthy otherwise... have no worry, she will be fine.

About her skinny legs, I'm sure you know by now that beagles vary in size, color and even shape.... love and care will make your aunt's, cousin and Lily's life full and happy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... ya i wish she would have asked more questions... i told her the stuff to ask becuase when i got diesel the breader (who happens to be beagletails) was very good. i really didnt have to ask any questions except when can i pick him up because she gave me all the answers..

but i just feel bad because they bought lilly for their eight year old daughter..

but thaks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts