Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not use to having a puppy again!! Last night I threw away 12+ chicken wing bones. I normally take out the garbage when there is chicken but I forgot this one time. About an hour ago I was not paying close attention to her and she got into the garbage, she used her nose to open the cupboard door. She ate them all in the matter of maybe two minutes, all I did was go upstairs and back down to find her in the garbage and all the bones gone. So that means she could not have chewed them up she had to scarf them down hole. Should I be concerned? What do I need to watch for? She is such a little trouble maker!!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I understand that there is the possiblity of sharp points creating problems as they pass through the digestive system. Watch for any change in behavior such as excessive drinking and lethargy. I wouldn't be concerned, just pay attention.

Over the years, my two have scammed plenty of chicken bones, to no ill effects (except for the hot buffalo wings, but the bones weren't the problem!).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These were hot wings. She was sitting by the kitchen sink whining and looking up wanting water. Poor baby. She's such a handful. Since we have had very warm weather over the last couple days she's been wanting outside and staying out there for along time. She is chewing down our bushes. They were pretty tall now there is pretty much nothing left. All the branches are on the ground in a pile. We have been lucky though she does not chew things in the house.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Please watch her carefully....Cobi ate chicken wing bones and about three days later, had a massive obstruction in his bowels.
They had calcified in his stomach, hard as rocks, and despite everything we did, from castor oil, to enemas, etc he didn't pass them. He had surgery about five days later, and was fine. But now we take any bird bones out to the garbage as soon as we are done eating. The only way we knew he had a problem was a bloody stool, and he dropped a pellet in his crate that sounded and felt like a rock. So despite the fact that they can eat just about anything, please watch her....I'll feel better

Cathy
owned by Casie and Cobi

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Bazel eats raw chicken wing bones all the time, but cooked I guess are another thing. Bazel did end up at the vet once with an obstruction as a young dog with another type of cooked bone can't remember what so you do have to watch. I remember he was panting and acting strange. So if she starts acting off or a bit strange you know to go to the vet. All the best hugs. ((()))

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far she is fine. I actually just started today babysitting for a vet tech...bonus for us! She said more than likely she will be fine but they could be stuck like the other poster mentioned. She said if she stopped eating or looked like she was losing weight that would most likely be the case. She's still eating and she's going to the bathroom just fine.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Glad she is doing fine...but chicken bones are #1 doggie no-no. Hope she learned a lesson about eating hot wings...ouch!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I am so glad she is doing fine. That was a scary time for us when we heard the yelp and the the brick come out of our baby...plus expensive with a week at the clinic...chicken bones, cooked or not, are not the food for dogs. Throw them out as soon as you are done with them, why take the chance.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: cobismomI am so glad she is doing fine. That was a scary time for us when we heard the yelp and the the brick come out of our baby...plus expensive with a week at the clinic...chicken bones, cooked or not, are not the food for dogs. Throw them out as soon as you are done with them, why take the chance.
Raw chicken bones are fine for dogs

They make up a big part of any BARF diet, even before we were feeding raw we fed chicken bones - necks, frames, wings etc and have done so for years.

Raw chicken bones do not possess the dangers that cooked bones do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts