Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a lighted dog collar for Jazz. On a recent trip we had our camp was raided by a couple of desert foxes looking for food. Jazz being the hound she is woke me up by going bezerk and trying to get out of the tent to chaseafter them. All of national parks and the majority of state parks require that pets be on a leash at all times so she is always with (leash) or very near me (tether) when we visit these places, but I never keep her on a leash when we are in the tent or a cabin. I never worry during the day but I would like to have the piece of mind of high visibility at night for when we're walking around or if, heaven forbid, she gets away and I have to chase after her.
<span style="color: #FFFFFF">..........................................................................</span>

So my question to you folks is, do any of you have any experience with lighted dog collars? I've searched and I have seen some inexpensive ones, expensive ones, and everything in-between. They all seem to be good but I'd like some input if you have any.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I haven't tried one but its a good idea. I will be interested to see if anyone has any experience with lighted collars.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
i've never had a lighted collar but when i had my golden retriever i had gone to disney on vacation and while i was there i bought a cool collar clip light and reflector, it had pluto on it, and it reflected light kinda like the ones on bicycles and it also had a button that would make a bright blue light flash until you turned it off, i used to put it on him at night when he went out since i live near the woods etc. Maybe try one of those? ...i've never seen a fully lighted collar, maybe a reflective one would work just as well? or like i had before a flasher? OR glow necklace, kinda like glow sticks, lasts like 12 hours...but u'd need a new one all the time...idk.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This past fall I had a little bone shaped red light that clipped on to Ben's collar. It could flash, strobe or remain solid. I used it when I walked Ben in the evening and at night. It was VERY cheap. Eventually it just got stuck on flash (was no longer able to turn it off) and died out. I haven't replaced it with anything.

I liked having it and people that we met on our walks thought it was pretty neat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies. I have used glowing rope necklaces in the past and I have most recently used small glow sticks. These work O.K. but not long, meaning a little more gear to pack in and a little more trash I have to pack out.

I will continue searching and post up my findings.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Several months ago on the Daily Digital on Beagles-On-The-Web they had gotten light collars for Spenser and Clayton. I just looked at the archives and the picture was on Nov 29, 2007. They got it from KeepDoggieSafe.com. It is an LED light so it will last a long time. It looks pretty neat.

Ok I just looked at the web site and they run about $20 plus for the collars. They also have LED leashes for a bit more. I might consider getting one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts