Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you whose furkids sleep in their own room, how many of you leave a light on in that room? I leave a table lamp on, and I'm beginning to wonder if that is why Chloe at least gets up at 4AM sharp every day?? Just curious... Tonight I'm going to try using a smaller lamp away from their sleeping quarters to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I leave a light on in the hallway - not for the dogs though - for the humans in the house. A few weeks ago we had a power outage and Romeo - who is my BIGGEST beagle, and one of the older beags, whined until it came back on :eyes: It didn't seem to bother anyone else.
Chloe getting up at the same time every day I think is more than likely just "habit" - are you an early riser? Or perhaps she's just "programmed" to want to go outside at that time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We have a night light (for the humans) and Blue's kennel is covered with a blanket with just enough space for fresh air. He prefers the dark. As for waking up at 4 am, good luck!! Blue doesn't seem to care what time of day, but usually only wakes up when he has to go, or if someone walks through his room.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
No lights in our home.... although sometimes I fall asleep with the TV still on... so I have to wake up in the middle of the night to turn it off - then: complete darkness.

·
Registered
751 Posts
no lights, and we cover Marley's crate on top like a den. We found that this ensures he sleeps through the night. Started that months ago and it works like a charm. If we take his blanket off the top, or have a light on, he's too worried about what we are doing or saying to go to sleep. LIGHTS OUT in our house.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have a night-light on the landing, to stop us humans falling down the stairs if we need to go to the bathroom during the night. The light doesnt bother our two when we open the door.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I turn all the lights off. diesel seems to sleep better. also when i go to bed i put him up on my bed (its to tall to jump to) and if i leave the light on for a bit he jumps off and starts to play. so when i turn all the lights off it is a signal to him that its bed time and he lays down at my feet and goes to sleep... if my mom wakes up at night and walks down stairs he wakes up only if she turns the hall light on... so no lights = a sound sleeping diesel= and more sleeping in for me

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There are LED nightlights in the hallway to the kitchen and in the room where the dogs' kennels are. We've had them for 6 months, as long as we've had the house now, to help light the way at night when I would get up to let Spock out when we were still working on his housetraining and he slept in his kennel.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We sleep in the dark. None of us can sleep well with lights on. Jersey sleeps under the covers anyway, so it doesn't matter to her. She does get cranky sometimes if I leave the TV on in the morning while I'm getting ready. She gives me a dirty look and goes under the bed.

As for the 4 am wake up calls. Jersey used to do that as a puppy. She grew out of it eventually. I don't remember exactly when...I'd say probably around 8 months. She still gets up early, but not 4 am.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Miss Chloe does not like to sleep in the dark. She came scratching at my door a few minutes after I turned out the light. The only thing I can figure with rising at 4AM is that her internal clock never adjusted from when the time changed. I get up daily at 5AM. Their light uses an 8 watt flouresent bulb, so it's using hardly any energy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
No lights for us. I think they can see like cats in the dark. Sadie will be up and down off the bed, and she does just fine. I have to feel around to find her but she seems to be able to see where she's going.
I'm also pretty sure she can read the red numbers on my alarm clock. She knows right when it's 30 minutes before it's set to go off at 4:00 AM. :grr:

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
When Abby sleeps in her crate I put a very dim night light in the plug next to the crate.

Rebecca uses a night light and we sleep with either the TV on or a night light to make getting up with the baby easier (he's in our room) so if Abby sleeps with us or her there's almost always some sort of light.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i don't think homer cares either way.his cage is in our office and most nights i am in here with the lights on till 2-3am and he is in here asleep and i leave and turn the lights off and close the door and not a peep out of him.he has a bed in the living room where it's dark and is free to go lay there when i am in here but he stays in here with me

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
I have night lights inthe house that glow, they are not actual bulbs so they don't get hot. I have them all through the house actually. Spencer & Sydney do go out for a pee through the night though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have a night light in the kitchen hallway, and one in the small bath. Neither shines directly into the bedroom, but Li'l Girl wouldn't care whether they're on or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts