Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, i know its been a long time since i last posted in the introductions forum with my questions regarding my new beagle newt.

Well, its been a long couple of months. He has truely earned his breeds nickname of escape artist. The first time he chewed through the cord on his stake out after we left for a thanksgiving party and ran off. We didnt know it till we got home, we saw our dog rope broke and new he was out. What suprised us, was that our neighbors saw him break loose and stoped there family party to help get him.

I am blessed to live on a lot of wide open property, and as such, he never left more then 400 yards from my home. We found him on our fence line trailing a bunny. He came right up to us and i gave him a hug and thanked our neighbors for there help.

The second time, he escaped the house while the family was coming home, we opened the door, and out he went. Me and my 3yr old son chased him for as long as my son had the energy to do so, he grew cold and tired so i took him home and prepared him for bed. Newt made a giant circle, going about 500yards down and past our other neighbors insearch of rabbits. He then started his way back twords the home and hopped the neighbors fence and started playing with there labridor. At which point they called me and we came and got him.

Since then he is now a full time indoor dog, with frequent trips outside. I dont let him off leash, but i take him on long walks to let him sniff out the world. Right now its bitterly cold and he dosnt like it so we dont go out long.

Ill admit, during the first few months of training, it was difficult, even indoors he ignored me. For a while, i even considered taking him on the long walk becuase i didnt want to pawn a problem beagle on someone else. I was having a hard time bonding with him, but someone else in the family wasnt having such a hard time, and that person was my 3yr old son.

Newt is extraordinarily patient with my son, who does what all kids do and is kinda rough with him. logan loves coming home and seeing his little how-ewww(mimicing the howl newt makes, and making that his nickname). When we lost newt the first time, he bawled and bawled, till we found him. He loves that dog. So i decided to stick with it and in the process we both have come along way.

Newt still gets along great with logan, but me and him have finaly bonded. He wags his whole body when i come home from work, does his beagle bow and i know its time to go walking. I have finaly started to grow affection for this floppy eared tri-color dog, and it grows by leaps and bounds.

The state of his training is kinda weird. While indoors he listens perfectly, most times on the first command. Out side, i still rarely exist, but its getting slowly better. To better aid walking, i have purchased a muzzle leash, to keep him from pulling, but i think he hates it. He seems depressed and dosent have fun when its on even trying to scrape it off. Im tempted to return it and try the gentle leader and see if that helps the pulling situation.

We have yet to get professional training, due mostly to the expense, tho all the local beagle owners say he will benifit greatly from it. There are 2 different types of schools here that i must choose from. One is the Flying color academy, which uses e-collars and treats as part of there training program, and then the types like what petsmart has that uses only treats for there training. I could use some guidance as to which one would be best. Both schools are ran by professionals, with the flying colors academy being run by a animal behaviorist. The only draw back is the ecollar she uses costs alot of money.

Just today i recently discovered just how much emotion and affection i had grown inside me for Newt. I was reading the Beagle Bible, and twords the end, there was a chapter on putting them down when they suffer, and i got choked up and almost cried. It kinda shocked me that i was affected so, but thats what happens i guess.

I cant wait for next hunting season, ill have his training and equipment needs sorted out and he will finaly get to chase some hares again. I took him out on a mock hunt, and it was interesting. I kept him on leash, but let him lead. When he was searching for a trail, and thinks he found a faint one, he would make this short yipping sound. Then when he found the main trail, he howled and barked and pulled and followed the trail no matter were it went. Eventually we spooked out a rabbit. Since i didnt have a hunting permit or some orange, i didnt shoot it.

I cant wait for next year.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Thank you so much for sharing your story about life with Newt - I really enjoyed it and yes, I got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye because Newt has now put a smile in your heart. How awesome!!!

You know, that's why I love Beagle World - it's far better than a book or TV to me because I just never know what the next page brings and which characters will pop up with great stories - and it comes with great pictures too!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If i could only get him to get along with the cat, all would be bliss lol. Turns out he is picky about his food, ol roy out, pedigree scb in lol. He dosnt like canned food at all, i thought they werent picky, but i guess mine is.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Our cat was not thrilled when we brought Penny home and has sulked - we have had to make her own cat house in the garage - she won't come in the house at all now.

Penny Beagle is a fussy eater too - not a bit greedy either. We have had to vary the food so that she doesn't get bored with it. On the other hand, our Corgi will eat anthing anytime!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Glad to hear you stuck it out and he has become a wonderful addition to your family.

If you don't mind my 2 cents, I would opt for training without an ecollar. Positive reinforcement, I believe, works best for fostering the already developing bond between the two of you!

Also, the gentle leaders work great if your dog doesn't mind the harness. I think it allows them more freedom to sniff than a muzzle.

Again, just my humble opinion

Thank you for sharing your experience!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts