Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks again to all who offered input on the Two Beagles vs One thread. On August 23 I picked up Monty, a 10-11 month old tri-color male, from a rescue organization. According to the information we got off the rescue org's website he was a 3.5 year old, but after seeing that the contract gave us an out if there was a problem, and that he was already neutered and his paperwork showed that he was caught up on his shots, I decided to take him home anyway and see how things went.

So far, things have gone quite well. We got him to the vet the Monday after because he had some sores that he was scratching. The vet found that he had a slight case of mange and a broken tooth. We got an antibiotic for the sores, medication for the skin issues, and an estimate for the tooth and took him back home. There is a clause in the adoption contract about serious illnesses, so I contacted the rescue org and discussed the problems with them. They are working on assisting us with the problems and were not happy that their own vet had not caught these issues back on August 8. But all that aside, Monty seems to have settled in pretty well. He and Chica get along great and play together a lot. We are very happy about that since Chica is so out of shape. He became very attached to me the day I picked him up, has become close my my wife as well as our oldest daughter, but is still a little apprehensive about the two younger kids. He doesn't care for the cat and growls at him if he gets too close, but there have been no fights or other problems between them. They tend to avoid each other. Messes in the house have been minimal and mostly due to trying to get settled in to a routine, but otherwise he is very sweet and well behaved.

I will try to get some pictures up when I can.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Great to hear! I've been debating adding another beagle to the family and your experience is definitely swaying me towards that search.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Congrats on your second beagle!

Sometimes I think Oreo would benefit from another but unfortunately, I just don't think I could handle 2 goggies on my own. Yours seem very happy together!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Congrats! I am a huge proponent of a pair of pups, since we raised the labs that way and are now doing the same with our beagles.

Adding Violet to our zoo was the best choice we ever made. She and Duke love each other and play all the time and they run their energy out playing all the time.

Can't wait to see pics of your new addition and to hear the stories you have!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts