Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gage has a new habit. He licks everything over and over. The rug, the couch, the table leg, the book case. You get the point. He just sits there and licks and licks. Does anyone else's dog do this? Could it be a symptom of something?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Oh, yeah ... Maggie is right there with Gage. If you look at the thread about "weird habits", you'll see Maggie's latest licking compulsion ... legs. :rolleyes: Maggie used to lick the brick pavers on my back porch until she made herself sick -- she is no longer allowed on the porch. Concrete, sand and dry wall are her favorites but she is not one to pass up a cabinet door either. Compulsions, boredom, salt deficiency, mineral deficiency? Never able to diagnose -- "unique" is the best diagnosis we've come up with!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My dogs do that too. They are costantly licking their paws, or something. I never really thought it wasn't normal? I don't know, I guess I have no good advice here, sorry!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Houndlove:
My dogs do that too. They are costantly licking their paws, or something. I never really thought it wasn't normal? I don't know, I guess I have no good advice here, sorry!
My Shiloh does this a lot also . Not sure the reason for it. Some dogs lick and some don't. This has been discussed about a million times at different places and don't think anyone has ever come up with a good reason. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif But has far as licking on themselves,beagles are in a way like cats and like to groom themselves sometime. That is why you will read in some books that bathing a beagle ofton is not really recommended. I use doggie wipes in between bath times on Shiloh.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gage licks himself a lot too. I figured he just liked being clean. I have read that licking the pads of the paws is a symptom of allergies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My youngest dog licks everyything! she licks feet, carpet, faces, arms, legs, pants! It gets annoying having wet spots all over the carpet and body, LOL /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dogs will start licking things if the have an upset tummy. Then, when outside, they eat grass and then vomit. Usually feel better after that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dogs will start licking things if the have an upset tummy. Then, when outside, they eat grass and then vomit. Usually feel better after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts