Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menolly's starting to frustrate everyone again. One, she's started chewing on books...and our family is a bunch of bookworms. Worse, she's chewed on a library book (which, funnily enough, was a dog-treat recipe book!)
And that book was in the middle of my desk! She stole dad's freshly-washed baseball cap just this morning...and was he mad. She also swiped a box of MINTS off the kitchen table last night! I recovered the box, but the minyts were gone (don't worry, nothing harmful in them). Evidently nothing is safe. I've tried pepper sauce where it won't stain, but she laps it up and begs for more (all our other dogs loved it, too.). We haven't been able to try that bitter apple stuff yet, but I had a feeling she'd like it. This dog will eat ANYTHING.

My family's tried yelling, stomping the foor, growling, and chasing her when she steals something, but the yelling scares her (which none of us want) and the growling, chasing, and stomping she thinks is a game. What works is spraying her with a squirt bottle and when she steals, sweet-talking her and distracting with something she really likes (like a toy that smells like Pupperoni).

She's also regressed in her house training. She's had about one accident a day in the past five or so days; always in the same spot, always pee. I've cleaned it right up, but I think she still smells it.
I've started locking her outside until she goes...which doesn't often work.

I'd ask why, but I already know...she's just being a puppy. I can't stay mad at her for long due to those long ears and soft brown eyes. My family is a different story. Dad was still mad as he went out the door today, and everyone stews for at least an hour when she steals something. Her thefts has decreased since doors have been closed, but it's still a challenge.

What I need to do is convince my family that this won't last forever...she'll outgrow it soon. They ask, 'when?'

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Welcome to the world of beagle puppies! And yes, this too shall pass. When? Good question! Depends on how well she trains you and your family to keep things picked up where she can't reach them.
We had a member of Beagle Bay who had her first beagle - he had been a problem child - he'd had 3 homes in the first 9 months of his life - and came with a LOT of issues, fear of stairs, went ballistic if put in a crate, chewed everything he could reach - she kept saying when would he outgrow all this? She was determined that her home would be his forever home (and it is) - she worked with him - several obedience classes, CGC training - and eventually therapy training. He's a well-loved therapy dog now. My co-manager and I kept telling her - 18 months to 2 years. Just about right! Mellony is a YOUNG puppy - if you can get her in a puppy kindergarten class that would be GOOD. I like to distract them from chewing on things that are off limits - by trading - giving them something that IS appropriate, while FIRMLY telling them 'NO' - FIRM does not mean YELL. Mellony is teething. She's going to chew. Give her something that she CAN chew on. Many people keep wet wash cloths or other rags in the freezer - for puppies to chew on - it is soothing for teething. Keep her busy - a tired puppy is a good puppy. Lots of exercise. I know you have some financial problems, but many park districts have puppy classes for not a lot of money. I think the one in Pullman charges about $65 for 6 puppy classes - it's well worth the investment if you can do it. Problem here is that the classes are in Pullman - 20 miles away - I work in Pullman, and can't come home, pick up a puppy take it back to Pullman for class then drive home again. Classes there are in the evening - I don't see well to drive at night. I was able to take JoJo for a while - until I got sick (but didn't work in Pullman at that time) - but after work every day I'd take her to the local park and work with her without the others around. I bought a long training leash (15' I think it was) - and we did work at the park for a while every day. She got a lot of exercise. A tired puppy is a GOOD puppy. Yes, Carrie, THIS too shall pass! Now go suspend everything from the ceiling
!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
She will grow out of it. The solution for now, which will also help with housetraining is crating her. I know you rather not, as there are people in the house when you're gone, but it will probably be the most useful thing to do.
If you are worried they will forget she's there (which I doubt), you can always call them every couple of hours to remind them of her existence...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Eleanor is right - crating is the most useful tool for a puppy - and it is NOT cruel. Mine go into their little houses willingly - and even the ones who don't have to be crated, will often go to an empty little house for naps - or just to get away from the others.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Glenda and Eleanor are right. Welcome to Beagle puppyhood. It will pass. Daisy is 10 months old and she is better about stealing things but she still does it from time to time. I do crate her when gone but I do not crate her when we are here. I do, however, limit her access to rooms using baby gates (tall ones). She can only get to the family room downstairs. She can get upstairs but every room is closed off except for the office.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yep, the crate is the best. When you chase her, she's thinking it's a game. Cobi does the same thing, and he's 7, if he can get something and get us to run after him, he's won the game. But sending him to his crate after an episode of naughtiness is like putting a kid in time out. Not saying it's a thing that will stick, but we've used it time in and time out (HEHEHE) and eventually he gets it. And for your family, yes it does stop, and pass, eventually, or until she finds a new pass time.

Cathy J
14 days till Casie comes.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I'll second the crating motion. Although Vinny is no longer crated, we keep the crate because he goes in there to sleep and to be alone.

When we first brought Vinny home, we came home with a crate also. Any time we left the house, he was crated. We learned this from not crate training Beagle #1.

And over time, both Bama (Beagle #1) and Vinny have stopped all the chewing & destroying behaviors you are experincing now.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I know the crate's not mean- she really likes hers -it's just that she's running around all day and very active. I like to let her exercise all she wants during the day so she'll sleep at night. If I keep her penned up during the day, she'll sleep then and be active at night...when I'm trying to sleep.
On top of that, she's started destroying the bed in her crate.

About 90% of the problems are preventable; and we are doing the firm 'no' and replacing with a toy. It's mostly open doors and stuff left out. My family needs training, too, LOL. The real problem is when my nephew is over. He leaves doors open all over the house. Of course he's still a 'puppy' himself.

Hey, I would JUMP on an obediance class- if there were any around!
The only ones around here are during the week- when I have school -and cost at least $100...most of them, more. The absolute lowest price I could find was $90, and that one started already.

Sorry if I sound defeatist. I really don't mean to, and I love this dog to death. It's just frustrating trying to train, feed, clean up, etc all by myself with a full load at school. No one will help unless something of theirs is involved.
Evidently when he said I had to take care of the dog on my own he didn't just mean financially...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Life is all about working and sacrificing to get what you want.
I will share a quote with you, that I have lived my life by since I was 18 years old.

Anything worth having is worth working for

If you truly want this Beagle bad enough, then you will have to make sacrifices and work hard to make it work in order to get the reward of enjoyment with the dog. Don't mis-understand my intent here is simply to offer some advice as encouragement.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Oh Carrie, I know how discouraging things can be with a beagle puppy. I can remember trying to potty train Shiloh crying--yes, boo-hooing) in frustration and swearing that I would never, ever have another beagle. She stole and chewed so many things, that I think the only thing that saved her was, as you say, that beautiful beagle face!! I have 3 words that might help: crate training, time and teething toys. (okay, more than three) When she stops teething, she won't want to chew up everything she can possibly reach. In the meantime, substitute things she can chew on--wet and freeze an old washcloth till it gets good and cold and give her that to chew on. I know you don't want to put her in a crate--I didn't either with Shiloh. But once I gave is and got one, it really helped. Also, she is gonna still have accidents till she's around 1--at least that was my experience. If she's scared by people yelling at her, or confused about what's expected of her, that might make her pee more. When she does have an accident, try this stuff called Nature's Miracle. You get it at a pet supply store like Petco or PetsMart. It has something in it that works to kill the urine odor--that's why Menolly goes back to the same spot--because she can still smell the urine.
Hang in there, hon. It will get better. Truly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with everyone that it just takes time. For the first 6-8 months I had to give up a lot of the things that I used to be able to do. Instead of taking a nap after work, I had to play with the dog (still have to for the most part). I couldn't watch much TV, I had to keep my eye on her all the time. I watched her like a hawk so we didn't have as many chewing issues. She is just over a year old and she still chews her bones and fleece ropes. She looooves the fleece ropes. For the first few months I would drive home thinking how I couldn't handle this dog and why couldn't she be like other dogs (that are years older). But over time it all works out. Looking back I am glad I spent the time with her and now she is a good dog, but still a puppy.

Issues we had with Scout as a young puppy were with her crate. First, she had to be in her crate during the day since we both worked. I would come home at lunch, but for months she couldn't hold it that long. Its just recently that we have been able to not come home at lunch, she doesn't mind. Also sleeping through the night in her crate was a problem and now that its across the house, she is doing great. The only problem is she really never made the crate her home. I made some mistakes in using it as punishment sometimes, so she doesn't really like it for naps (although we keep the door to that room closed). I think she is afraid i am going to close the door on her if she goes in on her own. Its ok though, she loves crashing on the couch. I guess some people don't like to have dogs on the couch but how can you resist a beagle snuggle?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Carrie, I totally understand your pain. Jersey was a holy terror was a puppy. I know it's easier said than done, but keep everything up out of her reach. I kept an ironing board up so that I had a safe spot to keep my stuff where Jersey couldn't get it. I can't begin to tell you how much stuff she chewed on...pens, pencils, markers, CD's, DVD's, shoes, clothes, kitchen towels, potholders, my rug, the vertical blinds...the list could go on and on. Your family is going to have to learn to keep their stuff up as well. They can't complain if they're leaving stuff where she can get to it. Is there a way to keep her confined to one area of the house while you're out? That way she can still be out with the family but won't have full reign of the house to get herself into trouble? Like just the living room and kitchen area or something like that?

In the meantime, patience and some more patience. They do grow out of it. At least most of it. Jersey likes to raid the trash still.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Beagle pups can certainly be trying. We had 2 at one time. Ask your family aren't they the same people that wanted to get a puppy so badly? Then they have to understand that puppies will be puppies.

We kept anything that we liked and didn't want chewed up in a very high place. I watched them constantly and if I couldn't watch them I put them in their pen. We had a pen that they could play in and keep out of trouble.

Good luck and yes it will pass.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL, they were expecting an adult rescue who was already trained and housebroken. Plus my Dad is still stuck on 'his' dog, Saint Pocahontas. With as angry as he gets at my dog, you'd think he completely forgot that as a pup she chewed just as much (if not more) than Menolly and never outgrew a terrible fear of thunderstorms and fireworks (once she chewed at a window to come in and broke off a tooth), not to mention still stole peoples' lunch, used tissues, and her favorite-sanitary supplies.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Jen - have you been spying on me? I have an ironing board up here in the family room, that is FULL of things I've taken away from the beagle brats! Of course, I DO have 9 dogs, and some of the older pups are just as bad as the younger ones. I'm going to really have to puppy proof this room now - I'm almost sure that Mr. and Mrs. Tanna are expecting babies next month!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally Posted By: Star Wars BeagleShe's also regressed in her house training. She's had about one accident a day in the past five or so days; always in the same spot, always pee. I've cleaned it right up, but I think she still smells it.
I've started locking her outside until she goes...which doesn't often work.
In my limited experience, locking a single beagle outside until it pees has never worked. They just sit at the door waiting to be let in because the pack (you and your family) is inside and they want to be with the pack.

We've had a few accidents with Monty, who we know is housetrained, because we didn't realize that he can become so distracted he forgets he has to pee. Just yesterday we were at a park from 5 PM to almost 8, then came home and left the dogs out in the yard to take care of business and play while we got the kids snacks and ready for bed. We bring them back inside and Monty starts pacing around like he's looking for a place to pee, so I take him out by himself. He gets down to business pretty quickly, goes back inside, and settles down like he should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts