Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOORAY! After waiting for soooo long, I'll finally be getting Beagle at the end of the month! WOO-HOO!
At the very soonest, July 29. (rescue is closed on Mondays) At the latest, the following Friday, Aug 1. At any rate, both dates are less than THIRTY DAYS away! YIPPEE!

I'm almost ready. I've got my vet choices narrowed down to four, (going to visit the offices next and see who's who) the doggie gate' that my dad and I made is done, and My name choise are growing thinner (somewhat). My and my family's favorites are: Riley, Miko, Dash, or Watson for a boy, and Menolly, Aayla, Penny, or Sundance for a girl. I think from here I'll wait and see what the dog's attitude is like.

I am sooo excited!!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
congrats! get ready for a heck of a time!

I think Aayla and Miko are fantastic names

·
Registered
605 Posts
Great names. Your new baby will reveal what fits him or her, believe me. I wanted to name Henry pretty much anything but Henry (nothing against it, but I had about a million other ideas), but mom persisted with Henry and within an hour it was clear that it was going to be his name. It fit his personality, he responded to it, and he just plain looked like a Henry. What's funny is mom's childhood beag was named Prince Henry (called Prince) and dad thought we were getting a female that he could name Penny; we always call Henry Henny Penny...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yeah! I'm happy for you. I know how agonizing that wait is. I had to wait for Jersey to be old enough to adopt before I got her. It was torturous! I like Riley, Watson, Aayla and Penny for names.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My personal favs are Riley for the boy and Penny for the girl.
Did I ever think about your A-day this afternoon. I was on my way back home when I stopped in at a shelter on the outskirts of New Orleans (I'm keeping my eye out for an elderly beagle to foster). They had a 15 male that was very friendly and a petite chocolate and white female. Thankfully both of them were waiting on rescues to pick them up. Yours will undoubtedly be one very happy dog!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I'm just praying my check isn't late...

The beagle I was so interested in last week got adopted! WOOT!
She's such a sweetheart, she deserves a good home. I'm so happy for her!

They've got another Beagle in already. She's a red and white with freckles, maybe 4 to 6 years old, a 15 inch-er, and probably crossed with Basset. She has a very Beagley face and hind end, but her legs are just a little short and her body is a bit long. She's also got the gait of a Basset. But she's so darn cute!
I got to walk her today and she was about like the other Beag; strong for her size, very laid-back and gentle, and more interested in sniffing the living daylights out of anything- or anyone! - that crossed our path. She seemed to loved people. Her tail went a mile a minute whenever any people went by.

Oh boy, if no one adopts her by the end of the month, she's mine. I felt a connection with her, stronger than with the other Beag. I've even got the perfect name for her; Sundance.

If she gets adopted before then, great! I've got plenty of time to pick out my dog and new ones are coming in every week.

*T-minus 24 days and counting...*

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Woohoo that the beag you liked got a home and an even bigger woohoo that there's a new one that you have bonded with already. Just goes to show that when the time is here, you'll have no problem finding your very own beagle.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Less than a month to go! UPDATE 7-11-08'

Oh, boy...I just broke the number one rule of volunteering at the shelter; never get too attached to the dogs.

I walked and interacted with the red Beag cross again today. I think I must have made some impression on her last time, 'cause I could see plainly in her eyes that she recognized me. She was like 'oh, it's you!' She got so excited waiting to come out, she bayed!
She licked me, too.

I ended up hanging out with her for an hour!
First I let her sniff to her hearts' content, then sat down with her for some one-on-one interactive time. I tested her ability to execute commands and gave her a few little treats when she did them right, plus praising her a lot. After a while she started sticking closer, and I don't think it was because of the treats. At one point she put her paws in my lap and looked me square in the eye.

That did it. I melted and gave a her a big, fat kiss on her head. What broke my heart was when she practically dragged me right to the door leading to the office. She sat there and turned back to look at me, tail wagging.

She was asking for me to take her home. Sorry, girl. I can't take you home now. One of the staff even asked if i was adopting her and I had to say, rather wistfully. no, not today I tried taking her back to the kennel but it was locked and no one was around. I ended up waiting with her another ten minutes before I was able to take her back. It was only second nature. She dragged her feet all the way to the way and gave me the saddest look as I left.

This is soooo frustrating! I know I'll be happy when she gets a home, wether its' with me or not...but the fact I have to wait another two and a half weeks is just...
There is a chance she'll stay there that long, but I don't want to jinx it by counting on it.

Did I do something wrong? How do you keep from falling in love with a dog?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I've thought about that. I'm going back today and asking if I could do a 'Cash-on-delivery' deal. You see, they won't let the dog go anywhere until it's fixed, and she doesn't look like it (no spay scar). And I'm not sure if you have to pay as you're signing the papers, or after you pick them up. IF it's the latter, and IF the next spay date is after I get my check...I could swing this.

I'll still be happy if she finds a home not with me, but...I want this dog.

·
Registered
93 Posts

I made the same 'mistake' at the shelter where I volunteer. I got attached to a 2yr old beagle who was found stray, adopted out, then returned (because he escaped too much, hah!). I would always be the one to walk him in the evenings. But because of work and houseproofing, I knew I couldn't have him but it was so tempting! Anyway, he got adopted again within 2 weeks of his second stint and (thankfully) hasn't been returned. It's tough, I know.

I actually got Oreo from a different shelter/rescue than where I volunteer. I went there on a whim and saw him and knew I had to have him. So I spent 2 weeks buying all the supplies and houseproofing during which time I was fostering a cat that I sldo got really attached to. I still miss the cat but waiting to get Oreo was definitely worth it! Good luck with your pursuit!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you Carrie, I could feel what you were feeling just by reading your last two posts... they are smart those little devils, know how to work that gorgeous face with the pleading eyes, no one can blame you for getting attached.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

I don't think it's possible not to get attached. I know when I go to PetSmart on adoption day, I have to spend at least 1/2 hour petting all the dogs and there's been a few times I had a hard time walking away, even after such a brief encounter.

Dave and I have seriously thought about being lab fosters, as a way to still be around the breed, since we know we can't handle 10-15 years of a large dog, but while we can, fostering would be great. Only problem is, Dave doesn't think I could ever give one up. He's probably right.

I really hope you can find a way to get this dog. I think if you talk to them and explain your situation, they will work with you. They can obviously see the bond you're developing and they want the best for the dog would be willing to wait a few weeks to get her the best home. Good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts

I'm hoping for the best. It's quite obvious how much you care for this dog and I think you will provide her as much care as she could receive. Good luck.

Like someone else suggested, I'd really try to get the shelter to hold the dog for you. Just let them know how you feel about this particular dog and if they need one, give them a small deposit.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Well, thanks for the encouragement.

They said that you have to pay the fee when you're signing the papers.
I was too discouraged to try and bargain with them right then, and I'm too afraid to ask them to hold her for me...at least not yet. If she's still around next weekend I may ask then, so it won't be so long. It's kind of a Shiloh situation, only this dog is taken care of and I have full permission from my parents. I just don't know how much longer she'll be availible, and until I get my check, I can't get her.

Hey...I wonder if I could talk them into letting me foster her here...then they wouldn't have to worry about space. All I really need at this point is some food, a harness, and a crate. The rest of the stuff (bowls, toys, leashes, etc) can be re-used from our previous dogs. Then when I get my check I could make it official...

Well, at any rate, whether it's her or not, it's only between 16 and 19 days until I can get my dog! WOO-HOO!
Just a hint over 2 weeks!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts