Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to when it's normal for a male dog to start lifting his leg to pee? Fin is 7 months and still pees like a girl.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ben started lifting his leg just before he turned two. I don't know if that is typical or not.

Now he lifts his leg to pee on everything when we are on our walks...utility boxes, trees, light poles, fire hydrants, hostas, tall blades of grass...you get the idea.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Charlie was about 18 months old. In his own back yard he would still squat like a girl but when we went hiking or whatever he would lift his leg. He obviously smelt other dogs and wanted to put his two cents in too. He's 9 now and lifts his leg on walks and public things but in the back yard, if he's in a hurry, feeling lazy, he'll squat still. I don't think there is a set age. Definately public places where other dogs have gone will help Fin lift his leg.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Java's is 13 months and still squats...I don't think there's anything to worry about. Although I shared your confusion at first, I don't think a male squating to potty is indicative of any underlying medical issues.

·
Registered
847 Posts
We're going to get Bodie neutered in the near future. Will a male dog still lift their leg after being neutered?

Personally I think it's funny when Bodie goes pee. He squats down and his tail stands at attention like a flag pole. Most of the time that's the only way we can tell he's getting busy since his legs are so short.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke was around 6 months when he first lifted his leg. Yep, I remember it well, there was my big boy all grown up, lifting his leg..........on the corner of my china hutch! ACK!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & BodieWe're going to get Bodie neutered in the near future. Will a male dog still lift their leg after being neutered?
Neutering does not stop the lifting of the leg - hopefully it just stops the lifting of the leg on ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING...!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Spock only lifts his leg every once in a great while, though maybe he'll start once he gets older (he's almost a year and a half old now).

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
My Charlie is confused sometimes. He would lift up his foot at the bushes and poop on it.
He started the leg lifting maybe around 1 and half year old.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The Bagel has been neutered for 10 and half years and not only does he still leave P-mail all around the block, he still has urges (he is now shooting with blanks) when the next door neignbors rotty's came into heat. We have to schedule a water stop so the Bagel can replensih his supply of Beagle magic marking fluid on our walks. Once learned no forgotton!

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's sort of an instinct thing. I read a book where the author mentioned his beagle turning halfway around to look at the strange thing his leg was doing. XD

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You know what's really funny? Sometime Violet lifts HER leg! It's hilarious. She's actually trying to keep it out of the way of the puddle, but she does lift up one of her back legs while she squats sometimes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Charlie is 2 and still prefers to pee like a girl, the odd time he will lift his leg to tinkle, and I do mean odd time maybe once a week lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts