Our Beagle World Forums banner

Leash Problems

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Roxy'sPop 
#1 ·
My family and I are the proud owners of a little chocolate beagle with green eyes named Molly. She is 9-weeks old today and, no, she is not yet potty trained but we are trying to be patient! :) If she is still having problems in a few weeks I may check back for suggestions!

<span style="font-weight: bold">My question involves a leash.</span> I have tried helping Molly get used to her collar and leash by letting her wear them around the house and going where she wants. But when I try to take her out for a walk on the leash she fights it tooth and nail. It is not that she is trying to pull me to go check out something, but rather she just sits or pulls back not wanting to move. I asked the vet and she said she may still be too young for taking walks. Any thoughts! Thanks for any advice - I love that I was able to find this forum!!!

#2 ·
We took Cole out for short walks at 9 weeks old, just to explore a little, mostly on our property, we didn't force him to go anywhere just let him sniff around, however, he was extremely excited and ran all over the place! LOL

I am also a big fan of harnesses, we started our guys with them when they were little but we only use them for long walks

I think just taking her out little by little each day, because they shouldn't be over-exercised anyway at that age for their growth, might help, she is still very young, she will get the hang of things! Good luck

#4 ·
yea i wouldn't say you have an issue. She is quite young after all...
My Milo was the same at first with his collar then his leash then his harness, but he got use to them all after a few times.
But he was already 14 weeks when i got him and i didnt give him a harness until about 20 weeks so it just takes time

#8 ·
We had the same issue with Harley. He would sit down and refuse to walk, pull backwards, etc. His stubbornness came out really early! We have found that a harness works great, as well as lots of encouragement and praise for walking. Be patient and she will get the hang of it!

#10 ·
Honestly, I'm surprised people have a tough time with their puppies on leashes. The day we brought Quinn and Grayson home, they were on leashes. It was weird for them to have collars on and not be able to go wherever they wanted to, but they learned very quickly, and we never had a problem with them not wanting to walk.

#12 ·
Yes the treats really work well, Henry (12wks) walks wonderfully by my side when he knows i have treats in my hand, we have been walking them on their leads in the garden every few days to get them used to it before we brave the outside world this weekend, whereas Herbie is a bit slower on the lead and gets bored really quickly, but we are totally shocked that they both sit to command already, treats are fab!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.