Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You knew I wouldn't be quiet once I found my way here didn't you?! I am unsure as to which board to post this first question on, so please let me know if I have overstepped the bounds.

Question is: Bernie is neither timid nor aggressive. Loves people, other dogs, cats, whatever he can find to investigate. The issue is leash training. For 4 days now he absolutely panics, screams, crawls under whatever he can to get away from the leash. It's a very small cat walking leash so it's not heavy, or cumbersome. I've tried inside the house, outside, with hubby calling, using the leash as a pull toy with it lying in his toy basket, etc. Nothing, <u>not even food works</u>. It's like landing a barracuda trying to get him to move at all. I've tried just clipping on the leash and ignoring his "beaglebabyeyes" and he sat in the corner for over 2 hrs waiting til I took it off.

The reason for the leash training so early (he's 8 weeks today) is the fact that he's discovered that his legs take him across the snowbanks, out the driveways (Fence is to be installed in the spring when it melts out there). He also is as you know: beagle, and he follows that little nose anywhere. I'd like to be able to contain him somewhat. For those that think I am mean, I am truly not. It IS for his own safety and good. He has developed a real attitude towards me, and has absolutely refused to "come" outside whatsoever, for nothing.

Please any help you can give, I'd appreciate it. Oh, and I did try as the vet suggested, using the loop not the clip of the leash to attach it to his collar, but still.. I just get this feeling I am being slightly manipulated. Once the leash is off inside the house, he sits like an angel, and expects treats. I stopped giving the treats for doing nothing.

Thank you for reading, and for any advice you might have. Kym

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi!

Have you tried getting a harness for him? that way you can 'pick him up' without hurting him, and he really has no choice than to walk, now I know you said food doesn't work but have you tried chicken?

My Glover is a stubborn one and most food doesn't work to bribe him.. but chicken seems to be the stuff for him!! he does anything for that!

anyway, I did have trouble with Glover at first with walking and I felt so cruel pulling him, so I bought a harness and that worked a treat!

x
K

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, he is very young still. But I understand.

I have a dog (back home, 12 years old now) and I got him as a puppy. I didn't remember, when I got Chloe, how weird it was to "teach" him how to walk on a leash.
What I did with Chloe is just put the collar + leash on her and let her grag it around the house. Then I grabbed it and started calling her, and as she was coming to me I kept walking backwards and praising and calling her more.
Outside she was also timid, but I just gently pulled her along, and praised and treated when she followed.

2 walks later she was a pro!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We've now bought two different harnesses, 3 leashs, borrowed a looooong retractable (baddddd thing to try, the "string" is very easy to wrap around his feet). Tried tempting with his verrrry favourite thing to snag: wet cat food, ham, wieners and smelly salami. Tried taking him out for a walk, no leash, attaching leash, and letting him head for home, gently trying to get him to investigate things on the roadside, and that works to a degree, but he has now found that he gets to go for walks without the leash and heads out on his own. He has no fear of being away from us, or out in the dark alone. The collar was two days of listening to him cry and scratch and panic, but he's now adjusted to it.

For some reason it's looking like a control issue thing, because I can take the tab on his collar where the leash attaches to, and move him around just fine. Just tried him out on the deck, with the door open, to see if he would come in the house with the leash behind him..nope.. saw the leash and spent 25 mins in the snow, whimpering. Although I will add, his eyes and ears perked up when he heard me coming, but dropped as soon as he saw me. Acting? Dunno, but I am at my wits end.

Thank you all for caring. Distressed Kym

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
8 weeks is still very young. Have you tried making a fuss of him whilst you are just holding the leash? Is it the leash he is fightened of?. I would continue using the harness rather than a collar. Try to act relaxed without showing your agitation. Put the leash around your neck and feed the pup, play with him, and only when he seems relaxed attempt to put the leash on. Once the leash is on, praise him, offer him treats but dont attempt to hold the leash. Remove the leash and give him more hugs and treats. Once he is no longer frightened of the leash, you can try attaching it and walking him a short distance. It is going to take a long time, but the secret is patience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Originally Posted By: Pandemonium
Question is: Bernie is neither timid nor aggressive. Loves people, other dogs, cats, whatever he can find to investigate. The issue is leash training. For 4 days now he absolutely panics, screams, crawls under whatever he can to get away from the leash. It's a very small cat walking leash so it's not heavy, or cumbersome. I've tried inside the house, outside, with hubby calling, using the leash as a pull toy with it lying in his toy basket, etc. Nothing, <u>not even food works</u>.

The reason for the leash training so early (he's 8 weeks today) is the fact that he's discovered that his legs take him across the snowbanks, out the driveways (Fence is to be installed in the spring when it melts out there). He also is as you know: beagle, and he follows that little nose anywhere. I'd like to be able to contain him somewhat.

I'm sure it doesn't seem like it to you b/c he's not acting like the normal "alpha" pup, but this is actually a behavior displayed by more dominant, intelligent pups. There are two main ways you can correct this behavior.

First - your motives are definitely in the right place, you want him leash trained for his own safety, BUT, it's more important not only to help him get accustomed to the lead, but to ensure real safety, to start out with some basic training. I would recommend you get a clicker, a decent clicker training manual & some yummy treats. Forget the leash training, just for a short while. Teach the pup "sit" and "come" for now, with the clicker. Once he's got it, put that training to good use in his daily life. Start him on a program called NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Have him sit before you place his food bowl down. On that note, while he's eating, pet him gently, praise him when that tail is up and your hand is in his food bowl, sloshing around his kibbles. Take out a few pieces while he's eating, have him sit for those, then let him finish eating. This firmly instills in a pup that YOU ARE NUMERO UNO. The boss lady. It's YOUR food, you just let him have it out of the kindness of your heart, lol /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Another important step you need to take with him is something I do with all my dog/pups. Have him sit before you open the door to take him outside. Now, with an 8 week old pupper, it's probably going to only last half a second, but a half second sit still tells him you are in charge, he can't just fling himself out the door. NILIF equates to bad behavior gets puppy nothing - good behavior opens a world of praise, treats, and good experiences!

What does this have to do with leash walking him? Well, once he is starting to get the hang of NILIF, he'll be ready for the leash training. Don't just spring the training back on him, rather, in the time that you're busy with the light obedience training, have him wear the leash and collar in the house (btw, I do agree that sometimes a pup will "take" to a light cat harness better than a collar). Ignore him when he has his leash on. If he wants to hide, let him. If he wants to moan and cry & let the whole world know how cruel you are - he's wasting his breath because you're going to maks sure he SEES you turn your back on him and walk away. If the hiding becomes a problem, you can toss him treats. Just throw them at him, without making eye contact. Continue to throw the treats further and further away until he emerges. Could take a while. But ignore & treat. And let him drag that leash/collar around practically all day, if that's what it takes. Once he's used to the feel of it, start trainign him to walk on it from inside the house. Take a treat, tell the pup "Let's go", as you lure him with the treat, which should be lowered just above his nose. Have him follow the treat ffor a few steps, then let him have it. Repeat this a few times, but keep the sessions SHORT and sweet. He'll get it. Let him get accustomed to this before you ever pick up the leash!!! If he shows signs of panic, drop the leash & ignore him. He'll get curious about the treats, and you can try again. Once you are able to hold the leash, do the same thing - lure him a few steps with the treat, then game over.

When he's ready to venture outdoors, keep the treats, lure him the way you did while he was indoors. Focus only on making him comfortable with the leash. Forget about housetraining, etc. If he acts fearful, ignore it with a capital "I". Take him in if need be, but always end the session on a positive note, so give him a treat (after he sits) before going in. Praise and treat whenever he acts as if he's having fun on lead. It will happen, probably much faster than you think. If you are consistant in your methods, you can have him walking nice by the time he's 3 months! It sounds complicated, but really, really isn't. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow HoundMusic, that's an amazing chapter of information that is now printed off, and taped to the fridge. The Nilif concept is something we mastered?, practiced from day one. He sits beautifully on command, inside or out, has always had to do something for anything that he wants: toys, food, come etc. All of my dogs have always been allowed their own personality traits, but never for free if that makes sense.

Now, the VERY GOOD NEWS IS: Apparently, leash training issues were all in my head! We got up this morning, and Bernie took the leash out of the basket by the door, dragged it around the house, and with a cockeyed grin, looked at me as if to say "So what's your issue with this little piece of nylon?"

I AM NOT BRAGGING ON THE BRAINS OF BERNIE!! but he's one intelligent dog. We're now wandering the snowy streets with leash & collar, with a smile on our faces!

Thank you everyone, for helping me see that NILIF! I had to work for the leash training as much as Bernie did!

Bernie kisses, Kym smiles to all

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this double posts, my apologies. Internet is playing up. Just to say thank you for having me here, and understanding that I am not a control freak who can't be bothered to understand the nature of a puppy. I was flamed on another site for mentioning that even my cats have to sit for their supper and treats. I am not trying to make Bernie into something he's not, I am just trying to let him learn, share, and love us while being safe and secure. Ok, off for another short lesson.. on something!

Take care, and I'll leave everyone to their "real deal" beagles!
Kym

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Leash Paranoia banished!!

Just a quick peek at a very good Bernie! Thanks for all the help everyone!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Re: Leash Paranoia banished!!

Congratulations! Bernie is just so handsome -- you definitely have to keep posting lots of pics so we can see him grow up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts