Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Oh Boy - I tried to answer your question in the introduction area but now I see the what you want. Yes, you can train Bodie to polite walk but he won't have fun doing it unless you polite walk to the dog park or fenced play area where he can then be all he can beagle. Beagles were bred to be independent thinking sniffing hunters and bred to be very doggie socialable so following his nose and visiting Patches easily trump your requests, human directions a herding dog and you think are commands. You have really got to think like a beagle. Beagles really do want to please the pack and you are Bodie's pack so praise, a joyful voice, lot's of encouragment will help. They are not stubborn even though I suspect everyone who has one thinks they are, they just won't comply when they reason nothing to be gained from compling even if they may get punished or scolded for not compling. It is easy to think them stubborn but if you think like a beagle, a reason to comply is rrequired motivation. My Bagel responds well for a belly rub, praise and will do most anything for a $1.00 double cheese hamburger hold-the-bun from McDonalds. I must admit I let bagel lead most of the time, turning him when I want to go somewhere else, waiting for him to sniff, enjoying our wlaks at his pace. Hopefully, others can help.

To polite walk or heal, the Bagel and I went to obedience school. I suggest you cut a slice of cold cut into several pieces (6 cuts each way gets 49 pieces out of square slice of ham), keep one in your left hand (the one holding the middle of the lead) and then slip a little piece to Bodie every time he sits when you stop walking, he'll learn real quick to heal properly.

· Banned
19,926 Posts
Hi Brien - I was wondering how Bodie got his name? I rescued my Bagel coming on 11 years ago and we've been a team ever since. He thinks he is taking me for walks but he knows keeping me interested means longer walks and the smells are just as good on that mine dump I want to investigate or behind that old shack I'm eying so he usually complies to my suggestions with a little encouragement. I will say we tend to go new interesting places and when he does roust a chipmunk or ground squirrel or lizard I do share his enthusiasm. I only let him dig a hole I have observed the furry critter scoot down as I don’t want him digging up Mr. Rattlesnake. He has found enough of them in bushes as we have been walking as it is. I just pull him back and we and the snake go our separate directions. Do you take Bodie into the wilds?

· Banned
19,926 Posts
I was wondering if there was a connection to Bodie, California and the famous Badman from Bodie. I am somewhat of an amateur historian of the history and pre-history Great Basin and know much of that area around Bodie, Mono Lake, Aurora, Benton. When Bodie gets a bit older, you should to take him on an adventure, he'd love the sage and the pine and smelling the varmints and modern day critters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.