Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this on my email today and thought there MIGHT be someone here that could relate...??

[sorry if a repost-didnt see it]
--------------
Whoever said, "LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE" didn't sleep with dogs. The first thing
you discover when you bring a dog into your bed is the striking difference in
weight between an alert, awake dog and a dog at rest.

Rule #1: The deeper the sleep the heavier the dog.

Most people who sleep with dogs develop spinal deformities rather than rent the
heavy equipment necessary to move their snoring canines to a more appropriate
part of the bed. Cunning canines steal precious space in tiny increments until
they have achieved the center position on the bed, with all covers carefully
tucked under them for safekeeping. The stretch and roll method is very effective
in gaining territory. Less subtle tactics are sometimes preferred. A jealous dog
can worm his way between a sleeping couple and, with the proper spring action
from all four legs, shove a sleeping human to the floor.

Rule #2: The deeper the sleep the louder the dog.

As you cling to the edge of the bed, wishing you had covers, your sweet pup begins to snore at a volume you would not have
thought possible. Once that quiets down, the dog dreams begin. Yipping,
growling, running, kicking. Your bed becomes a battlefield and playground of
canine fantasy. It starts out with a bit of "sleep running", lots of eye
movement and then, suddenly, a shrieking howl blasted through the night like a
banshee wail. The horror of this wake-up call haunts you for years. It's
particularly devastating when your pup insists on sleeping curled around your
head like a demented Daniel Boone cap.

Rule #3: When the dog wakes, you wake.

The night creeps on and you fall asleep in the 3 inches of bed not claimed by a
dog. The dog dreams quiet slightly and the heap of dog flesh sleeps breathing
heavily and passing wind. Then, too soon, its dawn and the heap stirs. Each dog
has a distinctive and unpleasant method of waking the pack. One may position
itself centimeters from a face and stare until you wake. The clever dog obtains
excellent results by simply sneezing on your face, or they could romp all over your
sleeping bodies, or the ever-loving insertion of a tongue in an unsuspecting
ear.

So, why do we put up with this? There's no sane reason. Perhaps it's just that
we're a pack and a pack heaps together at night safe, contented, heavy, and
loud.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My eyes are watering from laughing so hard. I can relate, at least on some level, to all three of those. There are nights that I'm about to fall off the bed because Jersey is comfy and I don't want to move her. Then sanity hits me and I scoot her over. She does like to kick us in the back to get us to move. The other night I woke up with her paws wrapped around my leg like she was hugging me. Oh, and Jersey's way of waking us usually involves a wet dog nose in our face. Ahhh, life with a Beagle! :heart:

·
Registered
540 Posts
So true of beagles...it always amazes me how such a relatively small dog can take up SO MUCH space in the bed!!! Buckley has now learned to sleep in his own bed next to mine, but I have to say I miss that warm little body next to my knees!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
This is too funny!!! :hysterical:

I wake every morning like a pretzel... Between a beagle and a cat...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the stretch/shake/yawn doesn't wake you up, Bel usually resorts to a lick on the face. Beagle morning kisses... :freak:

But they do make a nice foot-warmer on those cold nights!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I love it!
Sadie has been allowed to sleep with us for a few months now. Her and the cats (The bed has always been their space.) have learned to rest peacefully together. So we quit crating her at night.
Last night was a cold one (for us, anyhow) and she spent it under the covers, curled up in a tight little ball, in my right arm pit. I kept trying to reposition her a little because she had her nose way up under my back. I was sure she couldn’t breath like that, but every time I moved her she let out a disturbed groan and stuck her face right back where it had been.
We don’t usually get the morning tongue in the ear, but when the squeaky yawning starts, we know it won’t be long before we have to get up.
I don’t always sleep as well with her in the bed, but the tender affections of a warm Beagle are at least as soothing and rejuvenating as a good night’s sleep! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
146 Posts
My husband and I claim our small 3" section of the bed first and the five dogs sleep in various pretzel like configurations around us. I am currently developing the spinal deformities in the aforementioned post as well as chronic sleep deprevation. Polly is deaf and does not wake herself up snoring (in my ear) and it seriously does take heavy equipment to move any of them. :lol2:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours jump on the bed in the morning and when I hear them shake, I know they are coming and get positioned on the bed so I can remain covered. They take great delight in pushing up against us.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Last night when I was getting into bed I was thinking about this post. I watched Jasmine get under the comforter and scratch all the blankets off of me into a ball. Then she walked in circles looking for the right position to lay in.

Now mind you it was about 20 degrees outside and a little cold to have no covers on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

So I took the covers back and she shot me a look like "how dare I take her freshly made bed from her". I think through the night she must have decided to was payback and took over my whole pillow. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is so funny and so true! My Fin starts off at the bottom of the bed just covering my toes and by the time I wake up, he's wrapped in MY blankets and I'm half hanging off the bed. As much as it bothers me, he's so sweet I can't resist. I just don't understand why he targets only me and not his dad, truly unfair. But if he's not pushing me off the bed he's lying in between my legs and I'm stuck in one position all night while he does the rolls. The sad thing is we've spent money on a bed for him and given him 2 comforters but he still wants MY bed and MY blankets. Gotta love the beags...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts