Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted awhile back about Daisy's fence climbing abilities. Things actually got better for a little while, but now it's back to The Great Escape, playing daily in a backyard near you.

I have come up with a new idea -- I've ordered some fence privacy fabric, like this. I'm going to install it on the inside of my fence. This way she won't be able to see out very well, and more importantly, <span style="text-decoration: line-through">I don't think she will</span> I hope she won't be able to climb it.

Of course, Daisy being Daisy, she'll probably get online when I'm at work and order this.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm sorry I shouldn't laugh, but that last part was hilarious!!
LOL We've never had a problem with ours going over fences, but we did have a problem once while visiting my parents when they went UNDER the fence. However, we haven't had any troubles since we put a single wire electric fence around the bottom of our privacy fence. They don't even get CLOSE to going under anymore and they wouldn't get close enough to go over either even if they wanted too. LOL At first I was a little against the electric fence, but I feel much better knowing they won't attempt to dig under and get out onto the busy road near our neighborhood.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That looks like a great idea. I hope that it keeps Daisy in. I had to laugh at the link to the climbing harness. Although, who knows...with all her escapes maybe she already has one hidden in the yard that you haven't found yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Another escape artiste! I feel your pain - Boomer is our Houndini. We have totally redone the backyard in an effort to keep him here. Daisy is ahead of him though, becuase he never scaled the chain link, he went under. He also dug under the wood fence, climbed treed to go over etc. We have a two foot retaining wall and we wanted to keep the dogs out of the planted area on top so we put up a two foot picket fence on top - stopped everybody but Boomer, he sails over with ease. Luckily for us he hasn't figured out that he could easily jump the baby gates in the house. I hope that the fabric works!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen that video - it's hysterical. (I didn't let Daisy see it!)

I am really hoping my idea works. I should get it by the end of the week and install it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My DREAM was to have a few acres in the country someplace - with a LARGE fenced kennel area - with sloped concrete floor so it could be easily cleaned and washed, and separate stalls, which could be open or closed, so I could separate the kids if I had a girl in heat. My dream kennel would have a 6' high chain link fence with the bottom sunk into the cement - and a cover over it to keep weather out in case I can't let them in in a hurry. Each stall would also have an igloo type dog house - BUT all my dogs would still be house dogs and pets just as they are now - but with MORE access to be outside. With my neighbors being the way they are, my kids have to spend too much time inside - they really LOVE being out, but if they open their mouths to bark, IN they come. That was my dream, but unfortunately, my human daughter destroyed any chances I had of achieving that dream for my furkids, so we're stuck here. Fortunately my house is huge, it's 3 stories, each floor 1900 square feet - and the basement is finished (with an extra kitchen, bath, laundry room and family room, workshop and storage), so they kids have plenty of room here in the family room, which, except for the computer and tv, is pretty much theirs.
As you can see, they LOVE being outside - even in the snow!

By the way, Brien, my chain link fence here is 5' around my front yard - and I don't have any that climb over, but there ARE a few diggers under. If you click on the picture, you'll see the slideshow.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The gang look so beautiful in the snow! Do they dig in the snow? I can hardly wait for Winston's first snow! I know he's gonna hate it!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Everyone one of the 9-pack LOVES the snow, they have so much fun - no matter how cold (or deep) it is, they just have a BLAST, but I know that NOT all beagles are snowbeagles, I have friends who's beagles won't even get their feet WET, let alone run around in the snow! Winston MAY surprise you! Yes, they DO dig in it. It's fun to watch them tracking in the snow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts