Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, folks! Maggie had a bit of an adjustment to the Enalapril (blood pressure med) -- nightly repeated vomiting ... yuck! Then trip to the vet to make sure she wasn't dehyradrated -- she wasn't, thank goodness. She has come through that like a trooper and ... great news at the vet today. Her blood pressure has dropped significantly so we get to keep her at the dose she is on. We go back in two weeks for another pressure check and to re-run the renal tests. Even through the days with vomiting, Maggie's energy level has been much improved -- she has been greeting me when I come in the house and wants to play much more frequently and, for the first time in about 8 months, has wanted to chew her Cosequin tablet in the mornings. This may seem like a little thing but it is a very positive sign that her nausea has decreased. Of course, we couldn't escape unscathed from the vet ... Maggie has been scratching all over her body, any area she can reach, and she looks like she has a really bad case of dandruff. Vet said she has severe dermatitis (probably caused by out of whack hormones) and gave me medicated shampoo and cream rinse with instructions to bathe Maggie twice a week. Hmmm ... let's see, Mom has never bathed her at home. Pet-sitter to the rescue!! Thankfully, she is still in town -- it's been a long time since she took care of Mags. She is a really outstanding surgical vet tech -- she'll be here on Sunday for the first bath. Am going to go look for an attachment to use in the tub. Should be very interesting! I'll try to get a picture.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's good that the medication seems to be helping Maggie's blood pressure. I know that a positive report makes you feel better. Now, we'll hope that her itching can be eased.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
That is great news! Glad that you no longer have to guess at the dose of Enalapril while Maggie experiences the side effects.

Dandruff, huh? Can she have an antihistamine for the itching or is that a no-no because of her blood pressure/medication?

I have bathed Henry in the utility sink and rinsed him off with a little attachment to the fauaced that lets you direct the water whereever you want. I only bath him when he rolls in something unsavory .

Do take pics and kisses to Maggie from Henry and I.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:Originally posted by Gingergoose:
Can she have an antihistamine for the itching or is that a no-no because of her blood pressure/medication?
Denise -- It's a no-no ... I asked about DermCaps also as she has responded well to a week or two of those before but vet said "no" -- he doesn't want to add anything orally if at all avoidable. It is such a delicate balance now with all her meds.
We are going to use bathtub in my guest bath -- hopefully, I can find that attachment you are referring to. Maggie might do better if I am nowhere in sight so not sure if I can get pics!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Judy hope you have better lugk with Maggie in a bath than I do Shiloh ! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif Ever wrestled an alligator ? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only advice I can give is to go slow, bath time goes perfect if you put them in slowly and talk good things. Even if you don't get pictures of the bathing process, the after clean happy beagle will do!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Judy,

That's too bad that she can't have the Dermcaps. Those work very well on our honorary beetle Kelsey-Bad in the winter for her dry, itchy skin.

I find that when I bathe Henry, it's best to have some nice warm water already in the tub. The faucet running makes him very nervous. I also find that a huge cup like the big-gulp cups from the gas stations make perfect rinsers and being rinsed with the warm water seems to soothe Henry. Once he is settled, I can turn the faucet on and direct it to rinse the soap off of him. And also, the drain. The sound and sensation of the drain seems to scare Henry too (everything scares my Henry) but just want to warn you about that too.

Good luck.

~Denise

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Awwwww.....

I'm so happy to hear that Maggie's tummy is feeling a bit better, and her medicines are balancing out. I'm sure you feel like you're walking a tightrope.

Please give Miss Mags a sloppy kiss from me and my Maggie.....

(we just LIVE to see our beagles EAT and fly their flags don't we???)

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So glad to Maggie's blood pressure is regulated and she's feeling good, even with all the upchucking!! Way to go Mags!! Good luck with the baths--I bet she'll come to look foward to it as it will make her skin feel better!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, a very positive Maggie report :happyhappy: Glad she is feeling more chipper and things are getting ordered out. The Bagel sneds a big arroooo to Maggie and says to make the most of the bath and make sure she gets everyone helping wet as well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Seriously, if the bath will help her itching, she will enjoy it. Thanks for the Maggie report /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What great news that her pressure is good and she has some spunk now !!

Keep up the good work Maggie !!

Hugs to you both !!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by janna:
Glad to hear that Maggie is doing well. Good luck with the baths. Hunter runs away when she hears the word. Casey doesn't mind them though. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Shiloh hates the B word to ! :biglaugh: And some people say dogs can't understand words !

·
Registered
702 Posts
So happy for you and Maggie!! I've been thinking about you two and am glad to get a good report.

Daisy is good about her baths. She only gets one every three months, but the groomer says she's a really good girl.

Keep it up Maggie girl /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif Love to you and Mom!

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad to hear that Maggie's meds are all straightened out now. It's good that she doesn't mind baths. Jersey hates them. Living in a apartment, our shower has a handicap bar (standard anymore). I have to tie Jersey's leash to it so that she doesn't jump out in the middle of the bath. Plus, Mike has to hold her while I wash her. It's crazy. Luckily she doesn't need a bath too often! OK, sorry I highjacked your post!

Give Maggie some belly rubs from us. Let me know if you find an attachment that fits on a bath tub faucet. I can only find ones that fit a utility sink kind of faucet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bath update! Five liver treats later, Maggie is fluffy and oh so soft! I was focusing so much on Melissa (pet sitter) bathing Mags that I never remembered the picture taking. I also had to help keep Mags in the tub. Jen -- unfortunately, the attachment I got, in spite of thinking it was for the tub, was, as you said, just for a utility sink. Hopefully, PetSmart will take it back even though I opened it up -- I think the advertising on the package is deceptive (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!). I have an 8-ft. shower sprayer so that worked out fine. Trick was keeping Maggie in the tub for 5 minutes with shampoo and another 5 with cream rinse, thus the treats. Here is a picture of her afterwards, fully recovered -- Tuesday night is the next bath time -- I'll try to get a "wet Maggie" pic then:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She looks lovely, and doesn't appear at all stressed. Maybe the baths will give her so much relief that she'll come to look forward to them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts