Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have late morning Beagles? Its just past 11 am here in the uk. Willow & Katie had their breakfast at 8, went back to bed and STILL havent got up yet!! Even the rattling of breakfast dishes hasnt brought them down. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

Angela

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Well, I can tell you from personal experience that a beagle is very adaptable to their masters "timetable"! For the past 2 years I have been working for a major manufacturer of metal office furniture & my "boy's" (Goober & Homer) have been very adaptable to their feeding times! IMHO, Beags & "mutt's" trained by beags (like Homer the huge) quickly learn that the "big dawg"...(MOI) eats first, & then they are fed! :evilgrin:

·
Registered
322 Posts
When our girls are in the crate, they wake us up from 6 am to 8am. But when they are in bed with us, they sleep past our waking up. Ahhhh, and they snuggle and are so warm!! They started out on the bed with cover on the comfortor. Guess where they are now!!! UNDER the covers!! Thelma sleeps either at the very foot of the bed near our feet & Louise sleeps in a little round ball near our heads. They will reconfigure during thenight and usually there will be one on my pillow facing me in the morning!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
After Béla leaves for work I let Abby out of the crate and she hops into bed with me. She'll stay in the bed, drifting in and out of sleep (like me)...it could be 6AM or 11AM...she won't get up until I get up, not even for a walk, but the second I'm up, she's up and it's outside we go.

Then if I lay dowon the couch for a nap, she'll lay down with me for most of the time. She has her "spot" between me and the couch, covered up, just like me. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie is crying to get out of her crate by 5:30 usually closer to 5. I can't ignore her because she really does need to get outside. Most of the time she will go back in and sleep another hour or two but that doesn't help me as I can't get back to sleep. Its ok on week days when I need to be up by 5:30 but it sure would be nice to sleep until 6:30 or 7 on the weekend. I would love to let her sleep with me but if she got up and I didn't hear her there is no telling what she might destroy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Willow & Katie finally got up as we made lunch. The fridge door opening seemed to do the trick. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Angela

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All of our gang will happily sleep until noon (or later) if they get the chance. Sometimes they do need to go out for a quick pee or whatnot earlier and then go back to bed, but not always.

I think Booker's record overnight sleep without having to get up is about 16 hours or so! The funny thing is that her old owners told us she was always the first one in the house to wake up - at 5:00 am or so. I don't think she has EVER gotten up that early again in the almost seven years we have now had her!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ours are normally out to "go" at 6:00 as I am leaving for work. While we were off for the Christmas holidays, Peggy had to go in to work for a bit one morning. The pups got up, went out, and came back to bed with me when Peg left at 7. After a late (LATE) night for me, I finally managed to roll out at 9ish. When Peg came home at lunch, the pups were STILL in bed asleep.

Guess they were taking advantage of the holiday luxury they received too.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Daisy usually sleeps as long as I do. Some mornings I'll hear her shake and resettle -- then I know she needs to go out. But there are other mornings when she'll just look at me as I pass by her bed and stay there until I fix my tea and her water and food.

She "waits" until she hears her food rattle into her bowl or until I jingle her collar and tags, then she runs out to the kitchen, eats and drinks. Then she comes to me to get her collar on and goes out the door. (I will not let her go out without her collar and tags and I always take her collar off at bedtime because I'm a light sleeper and her tags make too much noise.) This is all between eight and nine am. Then she comes in from business and goes right back to sleep usually for at least 2 more hours. She and I are not early morning girls. :biglaugh:

Monica and Daisy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ours are early morning Beagles. When they were puppies Pooh Bear was the first one up as soon as he saw a glimmer of light outside. Now it is Sadie that is up first. We are up by 6 a.m. every day. They love to run around the yard and do their sniffing in the early morning to see what critters have been about in the night.

Sometimes I wish they would sleep in later. It doesn't matter if we got to bed early or late, they are always up by 6 a.m. We get up at 6 to get ready for work on work days anyway, so this is fine with us.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I have to admit, Dave and I are NOT early birds. Since he retired we rarely get up before 8am. One of us might have to run downstairs just to let the hounds out for a pee, but they return to bed and sleep until we are really awake. We rarely go to bed before midnight though.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is pretty adaptable now. Most days we are out and on our way to doggy day care by 6:30 a.m. On day's off though, Jersey will get up early to do her business but then is willing to go back to bed if that's where we are. 8 a.m. is usually our limit though. We are all so used to getting up early that 8 is sleeping in for us. As a puppy, it was much different. Jersey was so used to getting up at 5 a.m., that even on our days off she'd want to get up and wouldn't want to come back to bed. I'm glad she outgrew that!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Having good sleepers is wonderful. Cecil and Brandy are ready for night treats and the kennel by 7-7:20 PM (add an hour when the time changes again) and up at 7:00-7:30 (once again, add an hour for spring time change). On weekends, rainy or cold/dreary days stay in and play a little and then settle on a sofa until around 10 or so. If it's rainy the will just hang out, but with at least one pee break, until the formal nap in their rooms at 1-1:30 PM, then up til bedtime either in the playpen on good days in the mornings after 9 AM. They play there until nap time and go out again until evening walk at 5-5:30. With tax season here that's a great schedule unless rain...then it's tough. But glad they sleep so well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Fin is very adaptable to our schedule. He usually goes out to do his business around 6:30 on weekdays and later on weekends. He loves to sleep in with us so its a matter of when we get up. I think its because he sleeps with us under the covers, its so warm and he truly couldn't pass up a good nap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sure thing :biglaugh:
This is how Snoopy looks like after 12 hours of sleep:

...at this point the rest of the house has been awake and up for hours; but not the little king!!! :thumbup:
And as you can see he is not awake yet!!!

Snoopys mom

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
In the winter when it stays dark longer in the morning, our pack stays in bed until around 7:30. At that time, Traveler just knows that he'll die of starvation if he doesn't get up and have breakfast! :eyes: Many mornings, Li'l Girl will stay in her bed until she hears the food bowls being put down, and then she'll get up, eat, go out, and then come in for another nap. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Snoopy's Mom, the picture of Snoopy is hilarious. It looks as though he can hardly put one paw in front of the other! :lol2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The picture of Snoopy is lovely...looks like its hard work getting out of bed in the mornings! :biglaugh:

Angela

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Lucky is a very lazy beagle! I get up at about 6:45 am on weekdays. I have to drag him out of bed to go outside. Then once I leave for work at 8:05 am, he is already back in bed. I come home for an hour at lunch, and he is really playful then. He is playful when I get home from work at about 5:45 pm. He goes to bed whenever we go to bed about 9 or 10 pm. On weekends, he pretty much likes to sleep in until like 12 or 1 pm. He loves his sleep!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts