Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night I was at work & get a call Georgia is in the dog house again.
she had stolen some kitty poop from the litter box & my son told my husband that she was chewing on something,
so when he went to go see what shw was doing she got scard & peeded on both of our couches this is after she had gone potty out side not 10 minutes before too she knew that that she had done something wrong too because when my husband went to see what she had in her mouth her tauil was between her legs how do we get her to stop peeing

·
Registered
865 Posts
Georgia sounds a lot like Toby!!! Anytime we went to fuss at him for doing something bad or when a stranger came into the house - he would put his tail between his legs, pee, bark in fear - that sort of thing. He eventually just grew out of it. His crate was his safe place, so we just put him in there when someone came over and even if he did something bad. I know you are not really supposed to use the crate as punishment, but he did worse with the discipline so instead of fussing, we just took him out of the situation by putting him in his crate. He finally caught on. He also got to where he knew when he was being sent to the crate because he did something bad. BTW, he is still perfectly fine with his crate. Lucky is totally different and I would not use the crate in the same way with him, but Lucky handles discipline in a much different way!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Georgia is still new to your household.

I think patience, persitence and positive reassurance when she goes outside.

We went through the same thing for several weeks when Ben came to live with us (he was 8 months old). It is very trying on everyone. He would pee on the couch, in the front hall, and on the window seat just out of nowhere. So everyime he would go outside we acted super happy and excited. He learned pretty quickly that going outside had better results.

As for the litter box, we keep all three of our litter boxes behind closed doors or baby gates. Same with cat food and other things we do not want chewed. We had to learn that it was not just Ben fitting into our lives, we also had to make concessions for his safety.

I know Georgia is a bit older, but it may be worth your while to attend some obedience school with her that teaches positive training techniques. It may be beneficial for your whole family.

·
Registered
511 Posts
How is Georgia approached when something like that happens? As far as she's concerned she's just found a treat. While it's a little gross to us, it's really not a big deal. It sounds like Georgia is terrified and still insecure-especially if she's new to your home a lot of positive reinforcement might help.

I highly agree with silleb-the obedience training that uses positive techniques is great. I wish I would have done it with our dogs before Murphy.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh, I forgot to say that we also elevated the cats litter box to where Toby couldn't get in it. He loved those treats, too!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when we go out for potty time she is given praise to the heavens when she does go.

as for the kitty box I had a brain storm last night
I think we may try this put on an hook & eye long enought for Emily to get into her box but not Georgia I will let you know how it turns out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts