Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murphy LOVES chasing a laser pointer, just loves it. In fact we are worried he may be a little obsessed with it. He looks for it all over when we are not using it, and he has lost interest in other toys. Is it possible for them to have any actual problems from chasing these lasers? We were hoping we weren't causing any mental problems with him,sound silly?

·
Registered
212 Posts
What's funny is Nick and I were just playing with his laser temperature sensor, wondering if we could get the dog to chase it when he comes...lol.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I don't think any harm could be done by them just chasing it unless they run into a wall chasing it. LOL! I wouldn't shine it directly at them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I was actually thinking of getting one to play with Chloe... you're making me rethinking it!

I think I'll wait and see some of the comments to this thread. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so we played with the laser tonight, stopped about a half hour ago and he is searching like a mad man for it. Barking and running around, looking for it, its like he is hallucinating! I know I am a worry wart, but its not normal how he acts after playing with it. He doesn't even want a treat! Now thats unusual! I just was wondering if anyone has heard of any problems that can come about using them, or am I just worrying to much?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I've often wondered the same thing. My boys use the laser pen on the cat and she bounces around and go nuts every time. I guess the thing that bothers me is the fact that there's no reward in in...at least not in a tangible sense. I feel like it's more of a tease.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I saw a Ceasar Millan show where the dog became fixated with sunlight reflecting through glass so I guess it can happen.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have played with the cat with a laser pointer and never thought anything about it until you asked. I know that our big dog likes to play with the light from a flashlight, but takes no interest in the laser.

After reading your question, I did some research on it and found the following: Are Laser Pointers Safe For Your Puppy Dog?

It states: "It is strongly recommended that you do not use the laser pointer to play games with your dog." Interesting. And yet, they are sold all over the internet as "toys" for dogs.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've never used a laser toy and I can't imagine that either of my dogs would show the slightest interest in it to be honest.

If his behaviour doesn't seem normal after you've played with it I think I'd stop and find a more suitable toy that he doesn't become so fixated on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My dogs have a serious affection for the laser pointer on my infrared thermometer gun. They will chase it back and forth no matter how many times it stops and jumps across the floor to the other side of the room! The best part is getting them to do laps around the dining room table with it, it's like puppy nascar!

With that aside, my two dogs used to keep looking for it once it was gone, especially the spot on the door where I would hold it to get them to dance for it (I am sadistic, I know.) However, after having them chase it a few nights over a month or so, they really lose interest in it quick now. I think like anything new and interesting, it will hold their attention until they adjust to it and learn when to expect it and when not to. Now my older dog actually sits there and stares at me when I have the gun in my hand, and waits for me to entice her with the beam. She gleefully chases it around for a while, and when I am done she is done, it's back to puppy WWE (dramatic wrestling) for the kids.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have played with Bonny twice or three times with a laser but she lost her interest. Believe or not she understood the red point comes over from the pointer. My favorite is still ping pong ball.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts