Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know what the experiences are of others who have rescued lab Beagles? What the special challenges are (if any) that would be different than an adopted Beagles that has had positive or negative experiences in a home. The positives of getting a lab Beagle(I am sure many more). We are on a wait list for a baby from a breeder next spring but I would really like to rescue. My first Beagle was adopted from a shelter as a puppy with just 3 legs. She was an amazing dog. The second was from a breeder. Where I live now, there are (thankfully) no Beagles in shelters anymore. Sadly (for these dogs) most are Chihuahuas and Pitties. I do have two senior rescue Chihuahuas.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I suggest going to the website of The Beagle Freedom Project.
My dog isnt a rescue so i cant offer any comments but others have rescues. I havent heard any have come from labs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cassie. You are so helpful! Yes, I did go there and looked around. They are now Rescue and Freedom Project.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Thanks, Cassie. You are so helpful! Yes, I did go there and looked around. They are now Rescue and Freedom Project.
You're welcome. Cassie and I went on a dog walk with that group as a fund raiser...the creek we hiked through got burned in our recent California fire.
That's Cassie on the left in the picture from that day.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your screen name is the same as your dogs like mine! Cassie is adorable! Love her freckles. The one on the right looks just like Pumphrey.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I want to know what the experiences are of others who have rescued lab Beagles? What the special challenges are (if any) that would be different than an adopted Beagles that has had positive or negative experiences in a home. The positives of getting a lab Beagle(I am sure many more). We are on a wait list for a baby from a breeder next spring but I would really like to rescue. My first Beagle was adopted from a shelter as a puppy with just 3 legs. She was an amazing dog. The second was from a breeder. Where I live now, there are (thankfully) no Beagles in shelters anymore. Sadly (for these dogs) most are Chihuahuas and Pitties. I do have two senior rescue Chihuahuas.
I don't know where you are located. If in the US, can you give you state? Both of my dogs - beagle mix and German Shepherd mix, came from shelters. I live in Maryland and our shelters are filled with pit bulls. Nothing against them, just not my breed of choice. Also, we hardly ever have puppies in our local shelters.

Many shelters will adopt out of state. I adopted Natty Boh from South Carolina. He was 12 weeks old. He had been adopted and returned. He was UTD on shots, dewormed, neutered and microchipped. He had some mild Demodex, which caused him to be on the euthanasia list. The shelter let me have him for free. It cost me $85.00 to have him privately transported to Maryland. (I sent the shelter a nice donation.)

I adopted Shelby from a shelter in Kentucky. She was 8 weeks old. The Kentucky shelter has a transportation coordinator who helped with transport. The puppy, transport, everything was less than $200.00. She, also, was UTD on shots, dewormed, spayed and microchipped.

No, you don't get to meet the puppy, until it arrives on transport. I know that isn't everybody's cup of tea. It has worked for me. Just something you might want to look in to.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I found Cassie from Beagle breeders. I didnt meet her until she was flown on United airlines from Missouri to California. I picked her from a picture. I had to buy a dog transport. The process was easy and handled professionally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts