Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i took her to the vet last night, and they told me she needs this surgery. i've been calling around, and i'm getting a ball park window of $4,000 - $6,000. i don't have that kind of money. i mean, if i don't eat or use any utilities at all for the next 2 weeks, i might be able to come up with $2,500. i am trying to sell my guitar, but the market is slow, and it's only worth $800 at best. i could sell my bike, but again, it won't happen over night, and after i pay what i owe the bank, i might get $1000 if i'm real lucky. i don't want my dog to be in pain, or be a cripple. i don't know what to do. no way the bank would loan me the money. i've only been back to work 3 months, after a 9 month layoff. a 2nd job would take forever to make that kind of money. surely i can't be the only one to encounter a situation like this. does anyone have any ideas? i'm too old and ugly to be a gigalo.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Oh so sorry to hear that. Cant tell where you live but see if there is a Veterinary school near you that would do the surgery for free or reduced amount as a training opportunity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in delaware. i'll look for a school, thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What about non-surgical options? I know of other people who couldn't afford the surgery (or the dog wasn't a candidate) and they did rest and strengthening.

I'm sorry - this is one of my worst nightmares.

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
My beagle Vazzle had a torn ACL and it was suggested that she have surgery (that we couldn't afford). I knew the recovery would make her crazy too, there was no keeping her still. My vet gave us the option of trying rest and medication to start and see how she did. She wasn't overweight and wasn't tall so the vet thought she might heal on her own (after consulting with an ortho vet). Vazzle took TDC Joint Supplements and carprofen and we limited her activity the bed we could (no running or jumping). It was like a miracle when she put her injured leg back down and started to limp slowly on it. She had a full recovery with no surgery.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Buddy had surgery on his left ACL several years ago. Thankfully the cost of his was nowhere near that. If I remember correctly the cost was around $1200 for the procedure and maybe another $200 for all of the pre-op tests. This was the fall of 2016. Actually four years ago today, Sept 23. The only issue he had is they shaved him for an epidural. You can see the square patch. It didn't fully grow back until the following June. The fur on his leg started to grow back in just a few days though and looked normal several weeks later.

Just look at his poor, pathetic face.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am SUCH a sucker for puppy cuteness, it's not even funny!

Just look at his poor, pathetic face.

View attachment 41927
i am keeping kuro isolated, and she has her daily pain pill. it seems to be helping her some. calling around for surgery is really stressful. everyone has the same hours i do. i work on a construction site, it's noisy, and very difficult to hear what people are telling me. the local schools here don't allow students to do surgery, so, no discount pricing available that way. i contacted a local pet advocacy group, but they don't get involved in that stuff either. everyone seems to be around the same price, so far the lowest estimate has been $3800 for just the surgery. that doesnt count the p/t and the related stuff. i still have a few numbers to call, monday i hope will bring better news.

i have noticed a dramatic change in her behavior. she's become waayyy more affectionate/needy. before, she would cuddle only once in a while. if you reached for her, she would run away. it had to be her idea. now when i let her out of the crate, she leans against me and even lets me pull her up onto my lap. she'll lay there as long as i let her. i cut her food down to keep her from getting fat, and less treats but more carrots and apple.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
If you want to consider a non surgical option check out this site for a brace to use while it heals. Certainly much cheaper way to go.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Buddy’s leg A week later after the bandage came off. You can see the fur already growing back. Kind of looks like a turkey leg.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Buddy’s leg A week later after the bandage came off. You can see the fur already growing back. Kind of looks like a turkey leg.

View attachment 41932
awww, she needs a hug right there!

i may have found a vet to do it for $3k or less. it's going to make for a lean christmas, but i think i can make it happen. i dont feel bad, because i have done over-the-top gifts for the last 3 yrs anyhow. i can hardly wait for the day my sweety can begin to mend!!!

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Good sound like you got a good connection for a more doable cost. Good luck with everything..let us know how it goes.. love the picture!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes, keep us updated. Good girl Kuro!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I heard carecredit gives loans at 0% for people or dogs stuff.

I also have found arch vet in Lemont il to be very reasonable and good. I have taken my dogs there when the city vets are outrageous. Don't know where ur from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts