Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am starting a thread to see how everyone stuffs their dog's Kong. I know what to use, it is just so messy!! That and having a peanut allergy and a dog who LOVES peanut butter poses a problem. What do you guys use to fill your Kongs?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Cream cheese, broccoli, carrots/baby carrots, butternut squash, hummus spread, different curd cheese (white cheese as we call it in Israel, living in NYC we have lots of Israeli products here), peanut butter, kibble, salami cubes.....

I put different stuff everytime, many times I just layer a few of the things. When I'm not too lazy, I make 2-3 kongs and freeze for the following days.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Great thread Maria! My previous beagle Molly loved her Kong and wasn't picky, so I only used the peanut butter flavored Kong spray. Maggie on the other hand, could care less about the flavored Kong spray, so I'm also interested to see what everyone else uses!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've used....

Shredded cheese
Scrambled eggs
Peanut butter
cream cheese
mashed potatoes
Dry kibble and canned dog food
leftover steak and chicken
Dog treats

And a lot more things I just can't think of right now.

To get it all in there, cut things up small and stuff it all in. I use a butter knife to push in in there good. Just make sure you seal it with something that will freeze solid, like peanut butter. I like to layer things in the ones I give Jersey. Sometimes I stick a treat in the end sticking out almost like a short lollipop stick.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have one of the super big ones for Jersey. She only gets that on really special occassions though, like holidays. With the medium sized ones I can't get a whole lot in, but enough to keep Jersey occupied for a while.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I was just looking at the Kong website to see what sizes the Kongs come in, and they have something called 'Ziggies' that looks like a stick type treat that you insert into the hole. Depending on how long you want to keep your dog occupied, you can choose how much to push inside, or how much to leave sticking out. Looks pretty easy, and no mess!

The nice thing about the messy treats though, is you can throw the Kong in the dishwasher when it's dirty and it comes out looking like new!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have just been using our fingers since we had the small Kong. We have now moved to a larger one, so we will have to try a butter knife. It was just so messy that it was kind of a pain to fill them. We are thinking of taking Blue on a road trip so we thought we better get the Kong going again since he needs to be entertained while in the car!!! Thanks for the ideas guys!!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I have used most of the things mentioned above as well as banana. If you can wedge a baby carrot in under the rim on the top edge it takes a long time to get out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have only done peanut butter and yogurt. The yogurt was messy, the peanut butter isn't so bad.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Li'l MaggieFor those of you that freeze food inside your Kongs, does it get juicy and messy as your dog chews on it and it thaws?
Just don't put something like broth that's going to be very liquidy when it thaws. Peanut butter and cream cheese have been just fine for us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts