Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size of kong toys would you recommend for a beagle? I originally bought a small, or puppy size but now I'm thinking it's too small. I recently tried spreading peanut butter on a nylabone as a treat when I crated Winston and it seemed to go over well. At least it kept him occupied enough to get out of the house without too much of a guilty conscience.
Does peanut butter freeze in a kong well?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have 4 kongs that are 3.5 inch and 2 that are 4 inch. I have 3-4 constantly stuffed and frozen, and 2-3 in the dishwasher.... When I stuff food, I usually use the 4 inch ones, but just for treats I use the small ones.

Chloe also has a kong bone, which she loves!

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I would definitely go for the medium size (red) kong. Maggie has totally chewed the tops off of two of her puppy kongs, so I'm moving up to the medium size. I'm assuming that because they're bigger, they will be stronger??

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have 2 kongs in my home(3 dogs and 2 kongs,1 dog wont touch them)And 1 is a large one,for my large dog and 1 is a medium sized one.Yes peanut butter i find freezes great,i put mine in a baggy to put in the freezer though or i get peanut butter everywhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750610

this is the only kong that has held homer's interest.the puppy one he tore up real quick and he loses interest because he gets the peanut butter out in no time so now i jam a pedigree good bites(or 2) in there.you wouldn't think he could get it out but he can...in like an hour-and he will go non stop until it's out.plus when it's empty he still plays with it cuz it rolls like a ball.the one i have is blue and big lots had them for 1.50

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am very strict in the fact that Charlie does not get human table food. He's never been a beggar dog and we love that about him. If there is meat left over, secretly we will put it in his bowl with his dinner. It's just something that my husband and I feel strongly about. So after reading all these posts, I am eager to fill a kong with treats as I do plan on crating Bailey and I want him to have something to keep his attention, rather than trying to escape. I have what I think is an extra large kong but it's outside and it's Charlie's. If I buy a smaller kong, would regular dog treats not fall out? Do I have to put some sticky substance in there too? I really don't want to use human food, but I do like the idea of peanut butter. Any suggestions for dog food only?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I sometimes freeze canned dog food but be sure you take that into account as part of the meal. Some people fill the Kong with the dog's regular kibble and then get it wet before freezing so it will expand. I always put the kongs in plastic bags before freezing because it can be messy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Originally Posted By: jassyI sometimes freeze canned dog food but be sure you take that into account as part of the meal. Some people fill the Kong with the dog's regular kibble and then get it wet before freezing so it will expand. I always put the kongs in plastic bags before freezing because it can be messy.
I think I might try that. From a previous thread someone said they measured out the food for the day, and trained the dog with it and what was left was their dinner. I thought that was a great idea, so I will use wet food with dry food stuck in it. The whole idea, I must admit sounds gross and I can smell it already!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
We use the red medium sized one and it keeps Regal busy for close to an hour. Sometimes, it's just wet food frozen. Yes it stinks - but I ask my husband to fill it up while I'm taking the dog out for a walk!!! Sometimes we put a biscuit in and then fill with food. Always in a plastic bag to be frozen.

There are some recipes on the kong site for other ideas but some of them are just too gross! We don't use peanut butter as my husband is allergic, but I've read that yogurt also works wells.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've used both the red medium one and the bigger black one. The large one seems a little too big in my opinion. The medium red one works better. We tried the big one to help curb Jersey's Separation Anxiety (the trainer said she'd be so happy with that much goody that she wouldn't care if we left. HA!).

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
All my kongs are black. The red ones don't survive too long with Chloe (3-4 days!!!). She also seems to like the small ones better than the medium size ones.... maybe because she is tiny?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyAll my kongs are black. The red ones don't survive too long with Chloe (3-4 days!!!). She also seems to like the small ones better than the medium size ones.... maybe because she is tiny?
I didn't realize the color of the kong makes a difference. What is the difference?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally Posted By: Winston's Mom
Originally Posted By: Chloe's MommyAll my kongs are black. The red ones don't survive too long with Chloe (3-4 days!!!). She also seems to like the small ones better than the medium size ones.... maybe because she is tiny?
I didn't realize the color of the kong makes a difference. What is the difference?
I think different sizes have different colours, i guess it depends on where you get them from not all shops have the full range, well where i am not all petstock stores have them all

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: Ace & Sam
Originally Posted By: Winston's Mom
I think different sizes have different colours, i guess it depends on where you get them from not all shops have the full range, well where i am not all petstock stores have them all
No, different colors mean how tough the rubber is! I'll list them from softest to toughest.

Puppy -baby blue,pink with white swirls
Senior-Purple/white swirls
Original-Red
Extreme-Black

______

Note, dont just get the black because its the toughest, it can hurt some dogs the extreme kong is only for really powerful chewers.

Be very careful! altho kong toys are strong, they aren't indestructable so if you have an adult dog that is still chewing a puppy kong please keep watch as they MIGHT break off a piece and swallow it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think the black ones are tougher for really strong chewers. The blue and pink are for pups and the red is the medium strength. I buy the red medium for Maggie and although she is quite a chewer they seem to be holding up fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts