Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any intresting ideas for fillers? The most sucessful one i've had so far was mix of bone marrow cookie and hot dog. He went nuts for that one, chewed on it for almost four hours straight. I almost bought the original Kong toy today but i was advised against it by an employee at critter hut. He has the puppy kong and loves it but I've been wondering if anyone has any weird/intresting things they fill their dogs kongs with. Usually peanutbutter works well but lately when we give it to him in the afternoon or evening he'll have an pooing accident overnight in his crate. Has anyone tried liver paste ? I've been eyeing it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use liver past mixed with their regular kibble and freeze it before giving it to them. I am almost afraid to get too creative for fear it will put on too many pounds or upset their tummies.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I don't use Kongs - with 9 dogs, it's just not economically feasible for me, or even practical. However, when I went to the local Grange Saturday to buy dog food, I noticed that they had packaged fillers for kongs. Interesting idea for those with smaller packs!

·
Registered
181 Posts
We don't give many Kong's anymore, but at one time Ben was given one every time he went in his crate (he is not crated anymore.) I used to use canned dog food, peanut butter, cheesewhiz, spray cheese and sometimes I would pack some treats in there as well. I always froze them too. I usually had six on the go at once, either in use, in the freezer or in the dishwasher.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You can use anything in a Kong. I've used dry kibble, cream cheese, plain yogurt, peanut butter, scrambled eggs, cut up chicken scraps, steak scraps, mashed potatoes, shredded cheese, several of the above in combination with each other...I could keep going. Really, the possibilities are endless. Freeze them to make them last longer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you search online you can find lots of ideas. I've read all of the above things plus bananas with stuff mushed in with it or melted american cheese or honey with cheerios, treats or kibble stuck in it. I've also heard of frozed beef broth or reduced fat yogurt frozen. I tried filling the kong with kibble, melting peanut butter and pouring it in and then freezing it so it takes a while to get it out. Unfortunately, I had reduced fat peanut butter which, apparently, does not melt and after heating it for 30 second increments for about 4 minutes I decided to touch it and see if it was even hot yet since it hadn't melted. It was so hot that I burned my finger and couldn't touch anything for the rest of the day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts