Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so bad. But, I had to do it. I had to give Kip back to the rescue. She kept fighting with Murphy. The intensity and ferocity of the attacks was increasing. In the last one, I thought Kip had broken Murphy's muzzle. Then I was afraid she was going to rip an eye out. Then, after I had them separated for several seconds, Kip reached around and bit me, again. Murphy is ok, a few bites, she's on anti-biotics just in case. I'm ok, no hospital stay, this time.

I really don't understand why Kip does that. She doesn't turn on the cats, or on Sam or Bear. Only Murphy. I just couldn't bear it if Kip attacked Murphy and Murphy would have to be put down. So, I gave her back to the rescue that I got her from. I feel so bad, like I've let her down. But, I have to protect Murphy too. But, it still ripped my heart out.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had her for about 4 1/2 years. I wanted a senior dog, they said she was about 5 years old when I adopted her. I think she was older, but, that's neither here nor there. She could be so sweet, she really enjoyed her life in the house. She had been a hunting dog, and was rescued from someones back yard tied to a dog house. But, she also really liked walks. She would bark and wooooo at me to hurry up.

At least it was me who showed her all the nice things people can bring. Soft, warm beds, coats in winter, treats, back scratches, ear rubs. . .

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Kathy, I'm so sorry that it came to this with Kip. We had to return a dog we'd adopted once, so I know how heartbreaking it was to have to give her back. But you really tried, and you had to do what was best for all concerned. Like you said, you gave her good times, and happy memories. Hopefully she'll find a new home where she can be the only dog.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Did she fight with Murphy the whole 4-1/2 years, or was this something recent? I only ask because I was wondering if it could be a medical issue, especially because of her age.

I'm sorry you had to give her up. I know it must be heartbreaking. Hopefully, she can find a new home to love her.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What Zookeeper said. If Kip's attacks are a recent problem the dog should be checked. If you've already given Kip back to the rescue I hope you explained to them that Kip attacked you without cause more than once.

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, the attacks have been going on the whole time. There were several small attacks, and about once a year a big one like this.

I thought about health issues too, like a brain tumor or the like. But, she only attacked Murphy (and me)and, I know she loved me.

I completely explained the situation to the rescue. She knows what the situation is. She wondered how Kip would be with her pack. She has most of the rescue dogs at her house. She now has 42 dogs. We talked about what kind of home Kip would need. We both agreed she needs to be an only dog, and I said no small children. Kip was ok when she took her into the yard. I hope that with that many dogs, Kip won't do any thing. But, she knows what she has, I was totaly honest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts