Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your beagles like to play with kids, or are they afraid of them?

Duke has always been afraid of kids. Granted, we don't have any in the house, but between my Stepdaughter's 5 y/o and all our great-nieces and nephews, they have been around him since he was a pup. But when kids come over, he barks at first, then he runs from them. Eventually, he warms up a little, but he is still afraid of them.

Violet, however, gets right in on the action, playing and running around with them. Maybe it's because she was raised in a family with kids before we got her, I don't know since we don't have any idea what her story was before we adopted her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is a little caucious with kids at first, sniffing them and making sure they are ok. Then she is mostly fine, even playing a little with them.

Naturally, if a kid has not introduced himself, and came charging with enthuseasm, it will definitely end up with looking at Chloe with shock as she is howling like crazy and all her back hair is standing!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Menolly adores ALL humans, be they adult or kid. However she's greeted Joseph (my 3 year old nephew) with too much enthusiasm; jumping on him. He doesn't like it when she licks his face, though her intentions are strictly amiable. She's learning, though.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Daisy and Rocky are pretty different when it comes to children. We don't have any kids, but they've been around the neighbors kids a little as well as my 16mo. old nephew. Daisy is happy and wiggly and will generally play with them. Rocky is ok as long as they don't chase him around and pull on him. And sometimes he'll fetch a ball if they throw it. He gets nervous though if they chase him around or pull on him too much. Of course, he gets nervous if adults do those things. Who knows where they get some of their quirks.
I think sometimes it's just part of their personality, and sometimes it's how they were raised in their previous families.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey is a bit leary of kids at first. She's never really spent any length of time around small children though. The few times she's been around them she was quite apprehensive at first, but eventually warmed up. Having them give her a treat is a sure way for them to get on her good side.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Luigi loves all humans, like Menolly. In fact our focus right now, when it comes to training, is trying to keep him from jumping on everyone he meets!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Susi loves all humans (goodness knows why after her experiences) but Snoopy is scared of children and growls and barks if a strange (new) child comes near. Once he gets to know them he's o.k. but I would never trust him with a child.He is not keen on strangers but just wants to be left alone.We think he is scared that someone will will take him away from his safe home.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Cobi and even Chip, loved babies. They would sit by my friends littlest ones and just lay there, maybe moving if the baby moved. But once the kids got to moving, then they went in their crates and wouldn't come out. For Cobi, I think it's a matter of his abuse from young boys when he was a pup, for Chip, I know it was self preservation.

Cathy
2 days till Casie comes

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie likes kids, but I watch her pretty closely. She isn't around little ones very often and I am afraid if they step on her or hurt her she might snap at them. She never does with us but I worry that she might think she is in charge of the kids.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston's breeder family had 5 children, all of whom assisted with the pups, Especially one who was about 6 or seven who was official puppy handler (she was so cute). It definately paid off being handled so young by several children of different ages because Winston lets any child approach him to pet him, and he is usually very good for them.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy likes kids one on one but if there are more than 3 she gets nervous but warms up quickly. She's around my 6 year old all the time so that helps.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Both ours love children. Once, Spock met up with an entire troop of Cub Scouts at PetSmart. He was so happy. They tend to be really overenthusiastic with visitors, which is something I'm trying to work on.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hunter is cautious of kids,she is not sure what to make of them. Casey is fine,the breeder we got her from has small kids. Maybe because we don't have kids is why Hunter is wary. They are around our nieces and nephews occasionally,but that's it. Once Hunter warms up she is fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
meg loves everybody alive ! she will go up and say hello to random strangers as we walk by in the street. it can be embarrasing as not everyone wants to say hello to her !! and kids, well she couldnt eat a whole one !! only joking, the more kids the merrier. i would trust her 100 % around any child, she lets them do anything they like to her. she hasnt a nasty bone in her body

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Mine are not around children often - but they're all good with strangers - when my son in law's younger brother (13) came over they thoroughly enjoyed him because he went outside and played with them. I don't really know how they would be with other kids, but think they'd be fine. They're very friendly - for the most part. Chloe (my tiny mama's girl) is shy, and it takes her a while to warm up to people, and Joe doesn't especially like men. When my daughter and son in law lived here (for almost 2 years) Joe was fine with my daughter, and all the dogs loved her husband - except Joe - who wouldn't have anything to do with Allen. Really hurt Allen's feelings. I don't know why he doesn't like men - no one has ever hurt him.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Daisy LOVES everyone she comes upon. While we don't have kids she plays with our neighbor's girls. The 3 yr old comes in and calls her. She knows where the treats are and that Daisy can only have 2. Hubby's great neice, 5 yrs old, plays until Daisy is exhausted.

Daisy always presents her belly for lots of rubs to just about anyone who walks into the house! After all the greetings and belly rubs she goes under the end table and goes to sleep.

It's nice not to have to worry about little ones with her.

Monica and Daisy

·
Registered
120 Posts
Baxter enjoys anyone who makes the earth revolve around him

But, I have 2 kids (11 and 8) so he has been raised (in his short life) with kids.
He gets a little too anxious/excited for the little ones, but we are working on that. He is a work in process

1 - 20 of 24 Posts