Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kennel training Bentley is driving me yonkers. And poor Oscar is not getting his beauty sleep with Bentley's antics at night.

At first it was just digging. He'd dig for about ten minutes and pant like mad, but then settle down.

Last night he decided to bark. Not a lot. One bark, every ten minutes or so. Just to say I'm here, with some intermitten digging.

Everything I read on pack leading says to praise good behavior and ignore bad.

But I am exhausted today from all this. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
504 Posts
My beagle digs in the crate, hoping to get to China. I ignore. However, I try to leave chewable safe toys in there to keep her busy and eventually she stops her antics. Also, you can try this natural calm aid for dogs, may help the separation anxiety.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Although we don't kennel either of the dogs, except at our meals and when we will be gone more than 2 hours, Casie, 2 years old, digs constantly before he lays down anywhere. I know it's a throw back to the prehistoric times of dogs, but it drives me nuts, and isn't so hot on the furniture either. Any ideas on how to get him to stop and inbred trait?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The best advice I can give, and you are not going to like it, is ignore it! As you mentioned, ignore the bad. If he knows you are going to come let him out if he digs/barks, he will keep doing it.
We had this problem when we were trying to get Roscoe to sleep on his own bed! The first night was pure HELL!! Second night purgatory, third night earth (I can't say heaven b/c he wasn't completely ok with the idea).
Anyway, if you can suffer through a few tired days it might work.
Good luck and maybe someone else has some alternative advice

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't know anything about crates, only what I see people do here or recommend, plus first hand of the neighbour lady, she places her dogs fave stuffed animal inside crate with her dog, or a kong stuffed with something, seems to work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.