Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought Hailey a kong and a Kong Stuff-It ball. I fill them with treats so that she won't be barky and such when I leave her in her crate when I'm gone. However, she won't even touch them when she's crate. Outside the crate, she goes nuts on them. What should I do? I really don't want her to be bored and/or barking while I'm away from the house.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Keep trying. Often dogs won't eat if they're anxious, so it will take repetition and consistentcy to make her comfortable in her crate.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Zoey also will not play with anything in her crate however she does'nt appear to be bored either. Its like she has 2 modes. Crazy out of crate mode and I'm in the crate time for quiet mode. She'll just sit back with a content look on her face or she'll take a nap. Are you sure shes actually bored or is she just taking her crate time as nap/quiet time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like yours, she appears to have two modes, the crazy out of crate and kinda lax inside the crate. Although, it seems she has two flavors of crate behavior. When I'm in the room and she's crated, she either just watches me quietly or takes a nap. But the moment I leave the room, she just whimpers and occasionally barks. If I leave the house, I can hear some aroo'ing from outside. That's why I think it's separation anxiety and I don't know what to do aboot it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Now I have the opposite situation if I'm around the house and especially if I'm in the same room doing something and shes in the crate thats when she tends to get frustrated and she lets me know it but if i leave the house to do some work in the yard shes fine. I even peak thru the window just to make sure. Unfortunately I can't give you any advice about the seperation anxiety. Luckily for me the other dog will usually sleep in the same room that Zoey's crate is in and that so far has seemingly prevented any seperation anxiety.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Banjo is the same way. He won't even take treats in his crate!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Trust that if Hailey were bored, she would have something to do. Since she is not working the kong, accept that she is not bored. I believe your theory on separation anxiety is right (search the board for more information on that), but it sounds like it's not too bad, and with consistency, Hailey should be all right.

Sylvia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts