Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I had a handle on how we are going to proceed test wise for Tippi, I realized that either our vet thinks I just fell off the turnip truck or he really believes that women should be seen and not heard. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif I asked my husband Ron to step in since I was getting the feeling that the vet was just humoring me. Ignoring me would be a better word for it. He outlined how we should proceed and everything was going great until we found a large difference in what he said the price of these tests were and what we had researched through the UofTenn where he is going to be sending her tests for diagnostics. Also the tests themselves,what they will/will not tell us, etc., has become so confusing and he has not been real forthcoming in explaining it to me so I am researching it myself, but I have a lot of questions and no answers. The icing on the cake came this morning
when my husband received an email from our vet saying that he had discussed all of this with me 9 months ago :angryfire: Now either there is someone running around Orlando who looks just like me, who has a dog named Tippi, who is gaining weight for no reason,and is a patient of our vet or our vet is in the early stages of senility!!!!! He was right about one thing. I suggested the ACTH stim test 9 months ago only to be told that he didn't think it would tell us anything and that diet and exercise was the answer. Only after Ron asked to have the test done did he agree that it might tell us something. JudyMaggie: Don't think I wasn't listening when you told me about Maggie's attacks and what your vet recommended. Part of my morning was dedicated to finding another vet who is long on listening and short on ego. Haven't found one yet. Will keep you posted. Well for all you folks out there who were brave enough to click on this post, thanks for listening. I can go back to my research now with a clearer head thanks to BW :p

Lora&Tippi

"My little dog. A heartbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

·
Registered
131 Posts
Lora.. I wish I could help you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif That's the exact description of the reason why I often avoid other human beings, they drive me nuts! I'm sorry for Tippi's situation, and I really hope you'll figure out why she's gaining weight.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Once you lose trust in your vet, its over. Find another one ASAP. Once you have a sit-down with the new vet (being sure this is where you will be bringing Tippi from now on), have all your records transferred to that vet.

If the old vet asks why, Tell him and pull know punches.

Let us know how the vet hunt goes and how Tippi is doing.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's just terrible. I hate experts who expect people to just blindly do what s/he says. Hopefully you'll find a great vet who'll be glad that you're taking so much interest in Tippi's health, and can figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you find a caring vet as soon as possible so you can figure out what is wrong with poor Tippi.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Good luck with your vet search. We are blessed with a wonderful one. Hope you get to the bottom of Tippis problems soon.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There are good vets out there. Just like human doctors, it sometimes takes time to find one. Your dogs health and well being are too important to put in the hands of someone who won't listen. I hope you find a good vet soon. I have a friend in Orlando, I'll see if I can get her vet's name for you. I'm sorry that you've got to go through all this, but in the long run it will be better when you find a vet capable of helping Tippi! Keep us posted!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
A good vet is so important. We really like our local vet, but he's not equipped to do much in-depth testing, etc. Because of that we drive about 45 minutes each way to take Traveler and Spook to another vet clinic for the bladder and seizure issues. Even though it's more incovenient, and even somewhat more expensive, we have greater peace of mind when these issues are treated where there's more equipment, and where there's a vet available 6 days a week. You'll find someone, too. It just may take a little time.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm sorry that you and Tippi are struggling with your vet experiences. You are definately doing the right thing in searching for one who will be more concerned with Tippi's health than his own ego. I wish you luck and a speedy search ..

Let us know how it goes !!

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Lora, what answert to what question are you looking for? Perhaps I can help direct you to the right plce for the info...
Also, would you like me to help you find a highly regarded Vet in Orlando? I should be able to suggest a couple of names easily enough.
Just let me know, I would be more than happy to help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:grr: . Ron and I were up very late last night discussing all the information that we have acquired and have decided for the time being, that it would be best to stay with this vet. It turns out that he knows some experts at the UofTenn. and UofF. and in all of our research their names keep coming up as being the best in diagnosing Cushing's and endocrinology problems in dogs. Since he seems to be more receptive to Ron's questions and concerns,we decided that from now on Ron will be "spokesman", and already, we have seen some positive results. After speaking with the vet today we now have a better idea of how we are going to proceed, what tests will be done, why they are being done, what they will tell us, etc. and for the time being we are satisfied. We hope to have the tests done the first or second week of March. Please know that even with today's progress we might very well end up looking for another vet,however we are becoming very concerned over Tippi's worsening condition and since this vet does know 2 very esteemed doctors in this field we feel that we have to stay with him for the present. Will keep you all posted on Tippi's progress /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Lora&Tippi
-------------------
"My little dog. A hearbeat at my feet."
Edith Wharton

1 - 12 of 12 Posts