Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors have a white female German Shepard and a black male SharPei. Dutchess the shepard went into heat back in May and even though the neighbors thought they were careful in watching over Dutchess, the SharPei got a hold of her one night.

Well Dutchess went into labor this evening and I helped the neighbor with the last 3. She had 8 puppies (the last one caught while Dutchess was outside for a minute peeing--which was really funny cause my neighbor will do anything for her dogs and now she gets to add catching a puppy in dog pee to that list!)! Thank gosh they are all already spoken for as none of us neighbors (we are like family) want anymore pups in the shelters.

We call Dutchess the *Polar Bear* and she had 2 polar bear pups, 5 black grizzleys and a brown bear! They are so tiny and all look to be wrinkled so far.

I have never watched puppies being born and am just so glad it wasn't one of my Twins-----Lillie went into heat--at 6 months old, about a week after Polar Bear went into heat and we all feel the female hormones traveled to my yard. I just hope that we all will be able to get to the vet to get my girls fixed soon before anymore heats start in this neighborhood!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Shepherd/SharPei pups! Hmmm, I bet they will be interesting-looking!It's great that your neighbor has found homes for the pups.Twenty or so years ago, our little poodle Misty had Oops puppies. It was the only time I've ever seen puppies born. What an awesome experience!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Whether human or animal, birth is a mystical, magical miracle.

I saw birth everyday growing up on a cattle ranch, yet the awe never goes away. Even the grown men in my family choke up in the birthing barn. My dad is an amazing 'midwife' often aiding in birth, and occasionally performing CPR to help calves breath. It's kept quiet there, so there is less stress for the mamas, which adds to the special feeling. He also raised dogs when we were young.......I am thankful for the chance to grow up as a farmkid.....and I'm glad you got to experience the miracle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts