Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh... I need some encouragement. I feel like I have been trying so hard to teach these dogs to be good dogs... all to no avail. They jump up to get whats on the table/counter, they jump up on people, they run off with shoes/underwear/whatever, and they still have accidents inside now and then. I've been giving a firm no and sometimes using a spray bottle when they jump up to the table and then lots of praise and a treat when they get down or come sit by the table. I've been turning around and ignoring them when they jump up on me and then giving them praise and a treat when they sit. When they have an accident inside they get scolding and taken outside immediately then a treat when they go outside.

Unlike other people's dogs they are totally unresponsive to the word no and no amount of scolding or deep/mad voice seems to phase them. In fact, they don't even seem to notice. We do obedience training daily. They can do all of the basic commands: sit, lay down, shake, stay. They may not get a ton of exercize but they get at least one 20 minute walk daily and sometimes two. They go outside lots and go to the dog park once a week. They wrestle/play/chase each other all of the time that they are out of their crates so they use lots of energy.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. They really are sweet dogs and very snuggly. I know they love me and I feel bad because I'm always so frustrated with them. They are 6 mos and 9 mos old. Please someone tell me that it gets better as they get older and that all of this work/patience will pay off sometime!

·
Registered
140 Posts
It will definitely get better with time and patience! My little pup (now still only 4 months) has already gotten a lot better.

When I first got her at 10 weeks old, she was a little devil dog. She would not respond to no, and every time she got scolded, she thought you were playing and would nip at at your feet or run away quickly. At 3 months, she started jumping on sofas, on chairs to eat off the table, and even on the garbage bin to knock it over to get at the scraps!

That month was especially trying; many a times with me wondering whether getting the little pup was the right decision. I was really upset, sometimes even near tears, but then she would come over and give me a big ol' kiss. That made me so much more determined to keep trying, and I'm so glad I did! Even just after one month, I've seen a HUGE improvement in her. She generally stays off furniture, and will actally listen to us when we tell no! Yeah, she still forgets sometimes, but she is still a pup, and I'm sure it'll get even better still with time.

In short, don't give up! It's definitely frustating and a lot of work, but if you keep at it, you will have a devoted, loving friend for life. Best of luck to you and your little pups!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Having two very young dogs is a challenge. You will get there in the end. Longer walks would help. If they jump up at the table you have to ban them from the eating area. Allowing them to sit anywhere near the table will make them think they can be there. Try putting a barrier up so they cant get to the dining table. Can you close your kitchen off? Until they know they shouldnt jump up and take things in there, it would be better if they didnt go in there at all. Do you crate them? Things will get better but you have to be firm. No treats at the table and so on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Vicki,
not sure if it is available in your area, but 'sit means sit' is a franchise dog training system that WORKS.

and it does not matter the age of the dog.
and it is not brutal or cruel.

The most common comment i get from dog owners is WOW, how do you have such a handle on your dogs?
check into it, they have a website where you can look for a local trainer.
the system is not exactly cheap. but WELL worth it.
and the trainer comes to YOU, and teaches you and your dog.
c.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
That is definitely a trying age. I sympathize and agree with everyone else who says that it will get better as the dogs mature, especially if everyone who spends time with the dogs is consistent with training and treats.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Two that age can be a challenge.

Have you established yourself as the alpha dog or pack leader? I know some people disagree with it, but I've always quickly established myself as the alpha dog with every dog we've had and it's always worked well.

A few things that I do to establish my authority:

A couple times a day I place my chin on top of the dog's head signaling that I'm in charge. I often gently growl.

I don't let the dog(s) walk ahead of me when they are on the leash. If they start to get ahead I pull the leash short so they are forced to walk next to me. Again, I'm the pack leader and I go first.

When playing I sometimes (gently) grab the throat and growl. I often put the dog on their back when I do this. It's play, but it's also a message that I'm the alpha dog.

I never avert my eyes first. I let the dog look away first.

A trick to get their attention when they are misbehaving is a pop can with a few rocks inside. Put some tape over the top, and when you need to get their attention give it a quick shake (only one or two strokes). The noise startles them and they stop what they're doing.

I would recommend not scolding them when they make a mistake in the house. Rather-have you tried using piddle pads? I had great luck with piddle pads training Murphy. On very rare occasions he still makes a mistake in the house, but we have a couple strategically placed piddle pads and he hits them every time. If they have been going on carpet get some cleaner that will remove the enzymes left behind so they won't smell the spots any longer.

Never overlook any challenge to your authority. Most dogs will test their owners, usually in adolescence. When the issue is settled immediately, it usually ends the matter.

Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Behavior does improve with age. They are really just babies. Our 2 (Sadie and Pooh) were horrible when they were young. Sadie would jump up and take food out of your hand if you didn't watch her. Ours still jump up on visitors and that is our fault for not trying harder on training them. Keep on doing what you are doing. Beagles are very smart but stubborn.

I used to have an empty tin coke can. I put a few pennies in the can and taped up the hole. Shake the can when they do something naughty. It does get their attention.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My baby is 4 1/2 months, I do use Cesars method and it has been
Working great! She waits for me 95% of the time when new
Peope are around she forgets, normal she is still a puppy
But try it it works. They are stubborn! Make sure when you train with treats you still have to train without, one off one on just so the never know when to expect them.
The only major problem I have is her whining really loud when she sees new people
. I keep her close and tell her no and close her mouth so she know I dount like it. It is starting to somewhat work. Don't give up!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
They are still young and it does get better. We noticed a big improvement at 15 to 18 months. Now Maggie is almost 3 and I miss the devil dog. I just told my daughter that I actually miss Maggie running through the living room, ears flying and tail wagging with someone's underwear in her mouth.
I do understand how you feel though. There were times when she almost brought me to tears. I used to think I had a crazy dog. Things will gradually improve. Just try to see the humor in it anc continue with consistent, patient training.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just have her on the leash when she jumps on people and have the people pet while she is sitting or laying down, pretty much pin her without hurting her, just should the leash short and low, I really only do it when she gets too crazy, she loves people!! They understand for sure! She used to literrly jump on people lol, now she kind just climbs up instead of jumping. Ok so now they are hounds, but she constantly scavenges is this something that will never go away? I am going to put a post about it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts