Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the increased cost for food, vet bills, training, toys, etc, what is the difference between having 1 and 2 dogs? We are looking at adding a second dog sometime in the future but are talking about these things now. Since Dash has been around so many other dogs and loves it, do you think that he would be happy to have another dog around?

We definitely have the time, resources and space to give another dog a great home, so I'm just wondering how good this would be for him. I'm assuming that Beagles/Bassets and hounds in general (being pack dogs) enjoy the company of other dogs in the family.

I guess it really would depend on the individual dog personalities involved. But, assuming that both dogs liked being with other dogs....

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
We got a 2nd dog because our first one was so hyper and we needed a way to get some energy out of him. It was the best decision we ever made.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Spencer's Mum:
We got a 2nd dog because our first one was so hyper and we needed a way to get some energy out of him. It was the best decision we ever made.
Funnily enough, we got our 2nd dog for the exact opposite reason to Spencer's Mum - because our first one was so laid back and we needed a way to get some energy INTO her! But it was also the best decision we ever made - so good that we added a 3rd a few years later!!

Our three (and our two before there were three) obviously get so much companionship from each other. Really the only downside I can think of is that as a duo or trio they definitely make more noise than just double or triple what one beagle makes - they seem to feed off one another and get the whole "pack thing" going - but it keeps the neighbourhood entertained!

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is great to know because that's kind of what we were thinking, too. How soon should we get one? Because something actually just presented itself to us today, that would be the perfect match for Dash and is something my husband really wants to do...and myself as well, of course. It would be a Treeing Walker Coonhound - not too much older than Dash. She's almost 2 1/2 years old. Very sweet and snuggly. They actually have pretty similar personalities except she has more of high prey drive (not a big deal to us as she won't be allowed off leash except in a securely fenced area). Is there any harm in getting her somewhat close to around the time that Dash is coming home?

Obviously, we want the best for both dogs. Both dogs are used to being around lots of other dogs in their foster homes. Both dogs are agreeable and get along well. She would get along better in a home with a male dog, but she has NEVER shown any kind of aggression. She just likes to be the top girl dog in the house but has never shown any kind of dominance over male dogs. He's just pretty agreeable with everything and everyone - humans and dogs included. Both dogs are submissive and gentle to ALL humans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts