Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone put clothing on their pups in the winter? My Chalrie Angel wore a sweatshirt. I have one for Marley that he wears too but as it gets colder I will get or make something thicker.

anyone put booties on their pup? I never did with Charlie but as I will take longer walks with Marley, should I?

Grooming - anyone brush their pups teeth, or do you let the specialized toys/treats do the job?

How many times do you cut your pups hair? Brush hair?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:
anyone put clothing on their pups in the winter? My Chalrie Angel wore a sweatshirt. I have one for Marley that he wears too but as it gets colder I will get or make something thicker.

anyone put booties on their pup? I never did with Charlie but as I will take longer walks with Marley, should I?

Grooming - anyone brush their pups teeth, or do you let the specialized toys/treats do the job?

My beag wears coats/jumpers in the winter as she gets cold. She has quite a few :p

I don't groom her very often, as I find her coat quite low maintenance. I don't brush her teeth but I do give her a lot of fresh bones i.e. raw chicken necks/wings/frames and nice meaty red meat bones from the butcher. She also eats high quality dried food which helps keep her teeth clean.

I never ever cut her hair, I don't trim it or anything - I have never found a beagle that needed it. I do however trim her nails if they need it.

I don't know about booties - although I do find beagles are quite a tough breed that, if you think about their origins in the UK, are bred to hunt in harsh weather conditions. So I don't find my beagle needs to wear booties or anything like that however I've never had her in the snow before! When I was in the UK last winter I didn't see a single beag wearing a coat or booties so I would say they can cope fine without them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hope this helps /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh, a pic of my beagle in her coats and jumpers:

Having a cuddle in winter time:

The girls in their matching "jumpies"

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have noticed that Chloe is shivering a little in the cold mornings and late nights here in NY so I got her a coat (cute one, no picture yet) and a sweater (cute as well... still no picture).
No booties, I don't think beagles need it and actually I didn't think they needed clothing, but since she is a small 13" beagle, and was shivering, I figured... why not?
I do brush her teeth once a week.
I trim her nails every once in a while when I think she needs it, usually they get filed on the pavements...
I don't cut her hair (short coat....) and just brush her once a day with the furminator, or at least 3-4 times a week.
I give her a bath when she needs it, and if she gets dirty often I just rinse her in warm water to get rid of the dirt :rolleyes:

Smeagle - great pictures... :thumbup:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Marley's Mommy:

no clothing on Dixie just her harness and collar.

I am looking at leather boots for Dixie to walk around in the field as we got cactus and Mesquite thorn bushes here in Texas.

I just rub her down outside really good, it usually get most of the loose fur off of her. She chews so much that she has pretty clean teeth

No cutting of hair due to short hair coat.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I don't put sweaters or booties on Caesar, he doesn't seem to get cold. He loves to run, dive and roll in the snow even in -20 degree C weather. But we never leave him outside for a long time. I think he's like us (Albertans) and is just used to cold winters.

He gets his nails trimmed only when they start to get long. He gets a bath when he gets stinky which is once every month or two. I do brush his teeth a couple times a week. I got the tooth brush and tooth paste from PetSmart. Plus I give him Breathbusters everyday.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer & Sydney both wear coats in the winter, and boots. They are really sensitive to the salt so we have always put boots on them.

I have not been brushing my dogs teeth but they do get raw marrow bones to chew on which seem to keep them clean.

My dos do not get a hair cut, just a tail trim when they hair starts to point out at the end. I use my wet hands to shed the loose hair from the dogs. They get a bath once or twice a year.

I clip their nails every week, they grow really fast. I also clean their ears every week as well.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Every week we do the same routine... if they need a bath they get it if not he just gets a good brushing (which he loves). His nails clipped and teeth brushed. I do like to give him toys also. it helps keeps his breath smelling better between brushings. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote: I also clean their ears every week as well
This is something very important for beagles and a lot of owners never think about . Beagles get ear infections very easy due to the fact that their ears tend to be on the ground when sniffing out smell or just simply playing . Their ears usually end up somehow getting wet from morning dew or a little rain. I purchased a jar of "Earclens Pads" on Dr.Foster & Smith website and use these to wipe Shiloh's ears out about twice week. Wish I could trim Shiloh's nails like you do. Ever wrestle an alligator ? LOL

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We have never put clothes on our beagles and here the temperatures can go down to minus 30 degrees centigrade!!! they have fur coats and are only outside as long as they are running around or walking. Coats look cute but are not needed for beagles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't do any of the things you asked about. I use one of those dog hair rollers to remove the dead hair. We only do baths in the spring (when it's very muddy out) and summer, and use wipes to clean his feet, legs and eyes.

Like Smeagle, I'm relying on bones and dry food for dental hygiene. Gage has a dental toy that he refuses to touch anymore :eyes: so that's out. There's a picture of Gage somewhere on this board plowing through a huge amount of snow and loving it, so I don't worry about clothes. We just go inside often to warm up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
The only dog I ever knew that wore booties wore little cut down leather tobacco pouches. He was a beagle sized mutt who lived in the desert with an old prospector who spend most everyday wandering miles over hill and dale (And lots of sharp rocks) looking for stuff. The boots protected his dog’s pads. I’ve watched the Bagel playing in deep snow and he’s good for about 30/49 minutes of cold wet frolicking before he determines he is cold and then this thoroughly wet beagle insists there is room inside my jacket for him /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Beagles know when they are cold or uncomfortable and if a jacket or booties would help, I think they would appreciate it but their ability to brave the elements far exceeds ours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.