Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. My wife and I are pretty frustrated. We try to take our little beagle on a walk every morning, just around the block (about a third of a mile). However, she absolutely refuses to walk with us around the first half. She'll sit down and not react when we call. Treats entice her to get up and move until she gets the treat, whereupon she stops immediately again. She tries to go any direction except forward, and we try to let her know that we're the leaders and she needs to listen.

The really strange thing happens when we're about half way around the block. All of a sudden it's like a switch is turned on and she begins pulling on the leash in the right direction. It's almost like she's trying to herd us back home, and during the first half of the walk she wants to go backward, during the second half she wants to go forward!

We're using a collar and leash, and I don't like pulling her because she starts to choke. Would a harness help me be able to lead her and get her out of the habit of trying to immediately return home? Anybody else seen this kind of behavior? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
205 Posts
A harness would help, I think. We actually can't put a collar on JoJo b/c it induces her reverse sneezing so badly. If she wears one, it has to be super loose and essentially worn as a decoration or for her tags.

She wears a harness everywhere on our walks and it's helped a ton. When she gets out of control (which happens frequently), I don't feel bad tugging on it b/c it's not choking her. She's much easier to walk with it on.

We've never had a problem with her NOT wanting to walk, unless she's tired or hot.

Perhaps you can stop for a slight moment, then keep going. Give and take?
It could be that maybe she's afraid to leave her home area?? I don't even know. How old is she?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Julia sounds insecure which if she is very yuoung is understandable but if she is not needs to be address. I agree, the bagel has been wearing the harness for over 11 years he's been with me and he wears it 24/7 but before I really want to advise Dustin I do want to know how old Julia is? There is a reason for her reluctance,

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have walked Winston on a harness since he was a wee pup. He will still pull sometimes, but won't do the choking/gagging. Your pup can learn to walk with a harness. I prefer the harness actually. It just takes time for them to adjust.

You didn't say how old Julia is. Around the block may just be too much for her still. Her bones and muscles have a lot of growing to do, so don't rush the walks. Several shorter walks might be better than one long one right now if she's still really young.

We were lucky if Winston made it around the garage the first couple of months. So several trips around the garage throughout the day and as he adjusted to the leash and harness, we could begin venturing out a little farther every day.

He's now a year old and could walk for miles, until he sees a couch or shady spot to crash in.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I believe from your introduction thread that Julia is only about 10 weeks old or so (and cute as a button, by the way) - so I suspect that this is not necessarily the sign of a serious ongoing issue - but probably more that she is still just a baby and she needs to get used to walks. I haven't had a puppy (we have only adopted adult rescues) and will therefore leave it to others here to give you tips on how to get through it, but I will say that I have certainly seen lots of moments when out and about where a little puppy is lying on the ground or sitting still and refusing to walk, and the owner appears to be trying to reason with the puppy to continue the walk!

Of course I have a four year old beagle, Popcorn, who does the exact same thing - but that is a whole different story!

·
Registered
890 Posts
It looks like Julia is about 12 weeks old.
I checked the Intro topics a few weeks back for her intro. She is a cutie.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've been walking Murphy since we brought him home at 8 weeks. The first couple weeks he simply trailed directly behind me-it does take some getting used to on their part.

Are there any distractions? Anything that might be frightening her such as traffic, bikes, etc?

I can also highly recommend a harness. Murphy is the first dog we've walked with a harness and I'll never go back to just a collar.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We use a harness, its far safer- the dog cant slip it as easily as a collar. Have you tried walking round the block in the opposite direction? Just to see if there is something on the walk she is afraid of?

·
Registered
847 Posts
We're the opposite. We can't even mention the word walk in our household without Bodie jumping up and making a beeline to the front door. He LOVES walks and could go for miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everybody. Thanks for your replies. Julia is 12 weeks old. We tried going in the opposite direction this morning and, if anything, it was worse! She just seems to want to stay close to home. I'll try the harness and maybe walk her half way so she can run the rest of the way.

Thanks again,
Dustin

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I agree with everyone else, baby dogs just need a little time and encouragement. Bones was afraid to walk for a long time after she came home and scared of cars. When there was a big noise coming, I would either pick her up or stand between her and the car or large neighbor's dog to let her know she was protected. More than a year later, I can't get her harness and leash out of their drawer without her practically exploding from joy. Gentle encouragement and instilling her with confidence are the way to go, I think. Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Rocky is 13 weeks today and it's just this last week and a half that he's actually wanting to go for his walk. At about 10 weeks he would do the exact same thing you said Julia does....not want to leave the home turf, and when I did get him away (after much cajoling and encouraging), he then walked really nicely until he could smell home and then he would start to pull.

Just stick with it, don't walk her too far, let her sniff a lot, encourage with treats and an excited voice, and before you know it she will be walking like a trooper!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh, another thing, Rocky really doesn't like morning walks....he is so stubborn!! So I don't force the issue, since I don't really have a lot of time in the morning anyway....hehe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a harness yesterday after work and it made all the difference in the world. It seems almost more psychological than anything, but just a little gentle pressure on the leash is enough to get her going. She also doesn't seem to want to bite the leash. This morning we walked around the block twice and she seemed really happy to go. She still is a little anxious about leaving home, but now we're able to overcome it almost immediately. Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Dustin

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's GREAT!

Harnesses really do help a lot. (especially in keeping the leash away from their face)

You could also try giving her a little treat when she's going really nicely and not acting scared or anxious. Lots of praise.
(and I actually talk to JoJo while we're out, especially on our runs when she's getting tired. It keeps her going)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Daisy hates the leash in her face, so harnesses are good for her too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts