Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, help. Took Josie out for her walk and her bowel movement was pretty much liquid and absolutely putrid. I know it's not supposed to smell like roses, but.... Then after her walk I was drying my hair - came out of the bathroom and there was a small (about the size of a quarter) pool of blood mixed with stool. She's been eating fine and acting normal otherwise. We really can't afford a vet visit right now. (I know, I know why do I have a dog then - I've been laying the guilt on myself pretty thick). Is there anything i can do at home or can I call a vet and get some advice over the phone. Thanks for everything

Kris

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Kris, the blood bothers me. If Josie just got into somthing that upset her tummy there shouldn't be blood in the stool. I would try to get her to a vet if at all possible. Does your vet take payments? I'm blessed because mine does, but I know that not all do. Some vets will give advice on the phone, but many vets will not.
First of all have you changed her food? That will often result in the poops, but shouldn't cause bleeding. Have there been any other incidents since the walk?
One morning a month or so ago, one of the dogs that sleeps down here in the family room, managed to knock over a little chest that I keep dog supplies in ... there was a full bottle (90 pills) of glucosomine tablets in there - never been opened. When I came downstairs in the morning the dogs had found the bottle of pills, and someone (probably Joe and/or Jack) had managed to open the sealed bottle, and eat ALL of the tablets - boy did they have the poops! Fortunately they'd managed to get to the puppy pads MOST of the time, but it was a real mess.
Now a little HINT. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Canned pumpkin</span>! Not pumpkin pie mix but just plain canned pumpkin. I keep a couple of cans on hand for those occasions when someone has loose stools. It won't hurt them and since I usually don't know who the culprit is (with 9 dogs unless you catch them in the act, you have NO idea who to treat) - so each will get a couple of tablespoons of canned pumpkin. It will usually firm them right up - and they ALL love it - think they're getting a BIG treat so they gobble it right down and ask for more. It might be worth a try for Josie. Let us know what's happening.
Hugs 'n puppy kisses,

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Kris,

My advice would be to not feed her, water only, for the rest of the day and see if the stool changes.

Also, check her gums to see if they are pink (when you press your fingernail on her gums, do they become white then return to a nice pink right after you remove your finger or do they take a while to pink up again) or if they start to look pale.

Bloody stool can be caused by a million things...if she continues to seriously bleed, a visit to the vet is a MUST. As for payment...like Glenda said, ask about a payment plan. And I think it is Summer and Murphy's Dad who said a while back that they have a credit card for emergency vet visits only. That's a good idea.

Good luck,
Keep us posted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts