Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home today I stopped at McDonald's to get a snack. Jersey was with me. I had the window down to order and was driving around to pay when she suddenly decided that she wanted to jump out the window! Luckily I caught her by her harness as she was almost all the way out the window. I don't know what she saw that was so interesting, but she was a very bad Beagle! She's never tried to do that before. I'm just glad it happened where it did and that I was able to catch her before she got all the way out. She knew I was not happy with her and just laid in the seat and didn't move the entire way home. Such a Bad Beagle!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good catch, Jen!! Maybe Jersey caught a breeze with all the yummy hamburger/french fry smells. That hasn't happened with Maggie but one of my previous dogs, a shepherd, was 3/4 of the way out of a car window with me grabbing her as I was driving down the road! It turned out okay but those close calls can be nerve-wracking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good thing you were quick to catch her! Elizabeth did something similar at the bus stop last week. I always roll down the window to say goodbye to the kids. Elizabeth saw them climbing the steps of the bus and decided she wanted to go, too! My neice was walking up to pet her, and she caught her front just as I grabbed her back leg. Sneaky little devil! :evilgrin:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Jersey :nono5: :nono5:

please don't scare you mommy like that /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

If you wanted a french fry all you had to do was ask .......

·
Registered
540 Posts
Nice catch, Jen. As someone who has endured the guilt of her dog jumping out of a moving car and the injuries that resulted from that, trust me when I say she won't learn!! Buckley would do it again in a second /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif even though it resulted in all the pads of his feet practically being scraped off, and six weeks with all 4 feet in bandages!!

Jersey - :nono5: stay in the car with Mommy!! There is absolutely nothing better that you will find out there than what you have at home!!!

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby tried that once...also while going through a drive-thru /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif It was horribly scary, thank God I caught her...she was half out the window when I did. I learned my lesson and when she's riding in the car I ALWAYS keep my window up and just in case ALWAYS have a hold of her leash.

Jersey~ Just say NO to McDonalds!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Glad you caught her in time. For this reason we have a cage in our car. I am scared stiff that our 'kids' will jump out into traffic. The cage makes them safe.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Jersey, Bad beagle..... what those noses will lead to. I fear that also which is why my girls wear their harnesses attached to a seat belt loop thru the seat belt. They can still put paws up on the ledge of the window, but no further. They can also lie down or sit nice, but can't jump out. Petsmart carries them and they are just a loop with a clip like on a leash which you attach to the harness clip. Works great. Glad you caught her in time, Jen.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I thought I already posted a reply here...let's try again.

Marti, I've got one of the seatbelt leashes for Jersey's harness. I don't use it too much any more since she's so good in the car. She usually just sits in the back chewing on the bone I keep there for her. We will be changing that for sure. At least when the windows will be open when Jersey's in the car. I only wish that I had seen what she was going after. I was so shaken up that I didn't think to look for the target she was after. I do feel better knowing that I'm not the only one this has happened to!

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Wow, Jersey the escape artist!.. Glad you caught her!!!

Years ago we had a beagle called kerri who was a regular houdini. My dad belonged to a prestigeous members only golf club and wanted my mum to drop him off at the club for a match. My mum drove him to the club and they had the beagle Kerri loose in the back of the car. Well it being a hot day my mum had wound the window down and put a dog air vent in the gap!!

Once mum parked the dog could obviously smell the delicious bunnies on the course and decided she wanted out! Before they knew it, the dog had popped the vent out and lept out the window and was gone!!!!!

To say Kerri's escape attempt caused chaos was an understatement!!! The dog single handedly put the entire golf club out of action!!!

The important match had to be postponed and my dad spent the morning riding round the course in the golf buggy with the golf pro looking for said beagle!!!

Eventually she was caught on the 16th hole and had left a nice present on the green!!! Yoo!

My dad was so unpopular and did'nt play golf for months!!!!

Needless to say my dad who was never keen on beagles anyway was even less keen after this episode!

The dog was pooped after her adventure and we thought it was hilarious!!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Wow Jen,

Glad you were able to catch Jersey, one of my favorite Beagles on the planet.

Vinny goes nuts when we go Einstein Bagels in Brandon, so I know the feeling somewhat.

The trouble those noses get our "little buddies" into :lol2:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Emma is too crazy to not have her restrained. She is never off a restraint when outside. I clip the belt restraint on her harness while the leash is still on.

I'm glad all turned out for the best.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was just catching this post. Glad to hear Jersey is ok and you caught her.

Bad Jersey! :wave:

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Wow, that was close.
I remember Charlie's trainer once advise me to crate Charlie in the car, that can save his life during an accident. From then on he would scooter in the crate which I had in the car at all times, the one that folds, portable crate sells at Target, it became a habit, he wouldn't feel secure without it. Harness attach to sit belt is a good idea for bigger size beagles. We wear a sit belt too why can't they.

Charlie mom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts