Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jersey always knows when I'm coming to get her at day care. Every day, 20 minutes before I get there, she starts howling. The girls always check the time and it never fails...20 minutes later I'm there. I should add, it takes just about 20 minutes for me to get to the day care place from work. Yesterday, they knew it was me in the waiting room before they saw me, just because of Jersey's behavior. Now, I could understand if she knew I was there in the parking lot, but she knows when I'm leaving work to go and get her. I sometimes think about her and wonder if she had a good day as I'm driving, but not always. She doesn't do this when I'm coming home, or if Mike is coming home, only when I'm going to pick her up from day care. I don't pick her up every day at the same time. It all depends on what work is like, if I have to stay late, shopping to do, etc... I pick her up anywhere between 3:30 and 6:00. It just amazes me that she always knows when I'm coming to get her. It also scares me a little to think that she's that in tune with me! Do any of your dogs do this???

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Our first two beagles were like that. They had uncanny powers and always let me know when Dave was on his way home from work. I dont know how they did it. Our present two havent shown anything like this yet.
Bilbo also used to know when we were collecting a treat from the kitchen. I might go into the kitchen half a dozen times without her moving but when I went in to get her a treat she knew why I had got up and would run to the kitchen before me. Bilbo also had an uncanny sense of direction. Once, whilst in care, in Holland, she got out. The couple who were looking after her, both in the police, got their colleagues to search for her. What they hadnt realised was that Bilbo had walked 8 kilomtres across busy roads and along the edge of canals, on a route she had never done on foot, until she arrived on our doorstep. The neighbours, knowing we were away, phoned the police, who of course were lookng for her.
The funniest case of an animal knowing her master was coming home, was our guinea-pig. Zoe would run down our hall shrieking and sure enough I would hear the key in the door going shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our Sam does this, too. I am fortunate that I can work at home a couple of days each week. On those days, about 20 minutes before my husband pulls into the garage after work, Sam will stop whatever he is doing (usually lounging somewhere in the house) and lay down by the door that goes out to the garage.

No matter what time my husband arrives home, Sam is always there to greet him. It is truly uncanny how they know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was just looking back at what I missed the last couple of weeks and read your post about Jersey. It's amazing that she does this!!!

I was reading an article in the paper last fall about a wife with two little kids and two labs. Her husband worked about an hour away from home and would not come home at a regular time everyday. When he was about 20-30 minutes from the house, the dogs would sit at the front window like they were waiting for something. If I remember correctly, the writer said it was something about scent....I don't know for sure though! I wish I could find the article again!!! Who knows, really, what it could be. Talk about having an awesome connection to your pooch!!! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
OH our unbelievable dogs.....what gifts they possess, huh? (shivers)

I've been told by loved ones who have witnessed it, that Calvin sits in his chair by the window about 15 minutes before I arrive, whining and dancing. I work about 15 miles away, and I arrive home at various times also. I'd like to know what the explanation is.....amazing.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can they know?! I wish I knew what made them do this. It just amazes me. The girls that work at the day care facility are all just amazed at how well Jersey can predict my arrival.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie doesn't do this but the dog my husband had 25 years ago when we got married always knew when he was coming. She was a terrier mix of some sort, but now that I am familiar with the beagle bark I am sure there was a little beagle in her. She always got excited and went to the window 10 or 15 minutes before he arrived. He didn't always get here at the same time and we never figured out how she knew.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts