Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...by something out back while going potty. The only thing I saw around was an ant hill. She's been licking at her paw and favoring it for the last hour now. I gave her a benedryl but it doesn't seem to have kicked in. Mike and I both double checked the area where she was...no snakes, no spiders (that were visible at least), but there were ant hills. Jersey just seems to really be suffering. What else can I do? Could an ant bite really be this bad? It looks like the pad on her paw is really red. Whenever I touch it she pulls away. Why do these things always happen to at 5 p.m. on a Friday night? My vet is open until noon on Saturday. If she's not better by morning, I'll have Mike take her in. Hopefully we won't end up in the Animal ER tonight.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jen: I feel so bad for Jersey (and you guys ...)! Red ant bits can be really, really nasty as I'm sure you know. If Jersey gets a bit sleepy and stays still enough, you can apply warm compresses to the pad -- that will help reduce inflammation and take out some of the sting. You can repeat the Benedryl in a few hours if needed. Let us know how it goes.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Madison, I checked for bite marks and don't see anything. A snake was my first concern as we do have rattlers and cottonmouth in this area.

Her paw and leg look a little swollen to me now. So, she's either having a really bad reaction to an ant bite, but I don't see anything that looks at all like a bite...or...Mike thinks it's possible she sprained it when she ran away from whatever bit her. She's still VERY uncomfortable. Mike tried to put some ice on her but that didn't work well. I'll give her another benedryl before bed time, at the very least it will make her sleep better. We'll wait and see how she's doing in the morning. This really sucks. I don't like it when my baby is broken. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Registered
650 Posts
+1 on the Benadryl! A few months ago the stinging caterpillars were out and Chloe always seemed be getting stung on her paws (they were in the grass). After a little while she was fine. Hopefully the Benadryl and some extra attention will do the trick!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I hope Jersey is better by now...we never did find out what Georgia did to her foot, to cause her nail to come off....I hate not knowing..... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for checking up on my little Jersey girl! Whatever bit the drama queen couldn't have been to bad. I'd say it was the ants from the hill she was near that bit her. We do have ground wasps so it could have been one of them but I didn't find a stinger in her. Do wasps leave stingers or just bees? Anyway, she's fine today. This morning I checked on her before I left for work. She cried and whimpered and pulled her paw away like it hurt. I felt so bad leaving her but I had to work. At about 8 o'clock I called Mike to check on her. She was fine, running up and down the stairs to go out and playing like nothing was wrong. Can you say drama queen? I think she was just milking it to get more love from mommy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Glad Jersey's doing better. :hi:
We're a few hours south of you. Do you have the little scorpions that we do? They hurt about like a wasp, but aren't dangerous like the larger, desert kind.

Yes, they are all drama queens. Sadie had a limp for about a week, but only if she knew you could see her.

One of the Greyhounds we had broke out in hives one Friday evening. When she started weezing, we headed for the emergency clinic. I don't know if she ate something or got bit by something, but her entire body looked like bubble wrap. One injection, and she was fine in twenty minutes.
I think we've made a total of four emegency vet visits over the years. Mostly over reaction on my part. Every one was on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon, right after our regular vet's office closed. :freak:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts