Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is something going on with our beagle and we aren't quite sure what it is. When she was younger she went through this humping phase, which we squelched right away. Now she is almost a year old and all of the sudden she has started doing it again, but only to me this time and the pinning to the ground does not work. Instead she just gets angry and starts growling and biting at me. The thing is, she only does it when my boyfriend is giving me any kind of attention. When we are talking she does it. When we are sitting next to each other on the couch she fights her way in between us. She's been so nasty to me lately and there is no reason for that. She gets more than enough playtime, outside time and walk time between my boyfriend and I. We handle all the responsibilities equally so what is her deal and how do we handle this?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Penny humped anyone up until she was spayed - seems to have stopped now - thank goodness! Whenever I sit next to my husband, Penny squeezes in between us - wanting to be the centre of attention, but never nasty. I can't help you with your Beagle's bad mood I'm sorry, but I understand from my Vet that the humping is a hormonal thing rather than a sexual thing - maybe it's PMT???? I have also heard that it can be about dominance but that is just hearsay.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's sounding like a dominance thing, she is trying to show your boyfriend that you are hers and she is trying to show you that you are her property.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: ShelleThere is something going on with our beagle and we aren't quite sure what it is. When she was younger she went through this humping phase, which we squelched right away. Now she is almost a year old and all of the sudden she has started doing it again, but only to me this time and the pinning to the ground does not work. Instead she just gets angry and starts growling and biting at me.
Of course it doesn't work - all you are doing is further aggravating her and proving to her that you are trying to challenge her - the growling and biting is her taking you up on that challenge. I'd bite someone who pinned me to the ground too.

Force is no way to gain your dog's respect or to teach them that you are a fair, consistent leader. You can't force respect.

Quote:
The thing is, she only does it when my boyfriend is giving me any kind of attention. When we are talking she does it. When we are sitting next to each other on the couch she fights her way in between us. She's been so nasty to me lately and there is no reason for that. She gets more than enough playtime, outside time and walk time between my boyfriend and I. We handle all the responsibilities equally so what is her deal and how do we handle this?
Of course there's a reason - try not to humanize the situation, though. Jealously is a human emotion, she is demanding attention from you both because she doesn't have clear enough rules and boundaries. Try not to think about it as her problem, think of it as you not giving her clear enough messages (like pinning her on the ground - which teaches her the opposite of you being a calm, fair and assertive leader).

I would suggest implementing Nothing in Life is Free;

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a water bottle with about 10 pennies in it and shake it at her when she starts. My dog does this too, sort of. Mine looks all sweet and innocent and puts his paw on the guys lap. And the guy is like awww what a nice puppy!. Then the dog wags his tail like mad and puts another paw up, all the while I'm warning dude that never listens. Then before you know it hes up on the couch beside them with his paws around there neck teaching them who's who around here. My dog is 45 lb.'s and still growing and strong as an ox so trying to shove him off is difficult sometimes. He will keep this up forever if I don't get the penny jar out. He also tries to get between us and if they reach over to put their hand on me he doesn't bite, but he puts thier hand in his mouth and stares at them. I usually have to wedge the dog on the other side of me. He never takes his eyes off the guy though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts