Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Most of you probably dont know me, I was very active here several years ago when we rescued our Snoopy from Chicago.

Snoopy is now about 5....1.5 yrs ago we got Marbles when we moved to Cali, he was 6 months old at the time, now he is about to turn 2 in May.

As you can imagine, Marbles got some extra attention, more walks b/c of house training at first, and Snoopy has always been a bit jealous, but he warmed up, plays with Marbles, sleeps with him, does zoomies, ect.

Then Marbles got really sick about 6 weeks ago, had a very bad pneumonia, had to be in the ER and animal hospital for 3 days with IV antibiotics, so Marbles got even more attention b/c we had to do Chest Physical Therapy, Nebulizer treatments, ect for about another week

2-3 days ago, Snoopy is being really aggressive with Marbles.....when they fight over toys, Snoopy used to just growl, now he growls and fights Marbles....Marbs just wants to play, LOVES Snoopy, will tease him to chase and play but Snoopy is just really aggressive

We give Snoopy a lot of attention, I sleep w/him, hug him, when Marbs needed antibiotics we put in hot dog, Snoopy got hot dog too...of course we had to coax Marbs more b/c he had to take the pills

Im very worried about this aggression and jealousy...it has always been there but now Im worried Snoopy is going to hurt Marbles...Marbles is submissive and always backs down but always edges Snoops on to play...

What is worse is that Im worried Snoopy may have aggression towards our kids....when we have them in a few years.

Snoopy has just become so protective and kinda mean over the last year....barks like crazy when someone is at the door, but is very fearful of people....and we have tried to get him out of this and I have read that fear can turn into aggression towards humans.

Im really worried, and if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!!

Thanks
Amanda

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Manda, it's good to hear from you - I was just thinking about you a few days ago.
I'm sorry, but I don't really have any advice for you.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Summer and Kali went through this. If they were pack mates before, they should return to their previous state soon enough. That being said, you need to show Marbles that Snoppy is the Alpha. Snoopy gets fed first, petted first, etc.

Summer and Kali have had their fights... over toys, treats, attention, rough play gone too far, etc. Summer has drawn blood, usually a cut in Kali's ear. But when it happens we step in immediately. I scruff Summer fast and haul her away from Kali while Frani checks Kali. Summer is the larger and normally the aggressor. Now once separated, it doesn't help matters when I have Summer and Kali tries to get even. But they both learn quickly, that fights will not be allowed. They usually make up and start playing before my blood pressure returns to normal.

So my advice... let them sort it out. Snoopy, being the elder, should prevail. You just play referee and keep them from hurting each other. But if one growls at the other for no reason, step in. Let them both know that it will not be tolerated.

Hopefully this helps some.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Hi good to have you back, but sorry about your problems. Joe has given you some good advice. Do you seperate them when they are left alone in the house? All you can do is try to stop any fighting as quickly as possible.
I wouldnt worry about the future just yet. Could be he will be fine with children.
Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi Amanda

Is it just fighting over toys?

Or do you see Snoopy being aggressive when you pat Marbles? Is it when you are giving treats? Do the dogs fight over food/meals too?

It sounds like Snoopy could be resource guarding too, does Marbles ever try and take toys from him or does Snoopy just want Marbles to stay away from his possessions?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We've had some issue with our two as well. Between the two of them it's Rocky being the aggressor 99% of the time. He doesn't like Daisy taking his toys... and sometimes he's just grumpy. She is always wanting him to play with her and torments him. It very rarely turns into a fight. Most of the time he'll growl and she'll back off. But even if she pushes him he'll usually just growl and walk away. They get fed at the same time and Daisy always finishes first. But we've worked with her and she leaves Rocky alone (for the most part) until he finishes. Yet we can take food from him or toys with really no problem. I don't know that I'd be really concerned for your future children simply because Snoopy is showing aggression towards Marbles. Daisy used to be very aggressive with my parents labs but is fine with kids. We've worked very hard to get Daisy to accept the labs when we visit and they've come very far.
It just takes time and everyone's right, for the most part they work it out. The only time I really step in is if the growling is uncalled for or escalates.

If you're unsure you could always speak with your vet or a trainer

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Hi Manda!!

Hey, glad to hear from you (I haven't been too active either due to an overly full schedule).

One other thing that might help. My Maggie is a shy girl around most people and strange dogs also, and I had noticed her aggression becoming worse this past year (she just turned 4 years old) A dog trainer friend told me that Maggie (who is my alpha over Calvin) would always strive to be alpha over me if she perceived the need; that was a friendly way of saying that in Maggie's mind, I was a weak leader.

I know Snoopy has gone through obedience class, just like Maggie did. I'll be the first to admit, I was NOT strict or consistent with practicing her manners. So.....in January, we repeated basic obedience and I've been working with both dogs regularly at home....the difference is amazing. Once I gained control over Maggie's behavior on a daily basis, she has been more willing for me to take control of other situations that SHE once felt responsible for fixing.

She appears to be more confident in my authority. Perhaps Snoopy would benefit from the same, I dunno, but like you, I was getting worried that if I'm someday blessed with grandchildren, I wanted there to be no issues at home. My son has adopted a HUGE yellow lab just one week ago, and before Maggie's refresher course, I believe she would have been aggressive toward the 'intruder'. Now, I laid down the ground rules, and so far so good. The true test will be this upcoming week, as I'm scheduled to dog-sit Ruger while my son is away for 3 days.

I'll let ya know how it goes.....

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,
Wanted to give you an update

FIRST....It is SO SO good to hear from you all, I really miss Beagle World SO MUCH!! I wish I could get on here more!!!

Next..
To give you good news, Snoopy seems back to his old self with just being possessive over his toys/treats, instead of Aggressive, which is what he was doing for a few days that scarred me.

Im so relieved, I was really worried b/c of the way he changed for a while...I have made sure to give them the right attention and make sure Snoops is Alpha

As to answer ?s
It is only with food/toys
We do leave them alone together, outside the crate
And Yes, Marbles is ALWAYS trying to take stuff from Snoopy, sometime just to get Snoopy to chase him, to play and run w/him, others b/c he is FOOD driven!!
Then he sits and wines and wines b/c he wants what Snoopy has even though we give them equal treats and toys.

What is funny is, Snoopy will let Marble finish his treat, until he is done, then Snoopy will eat his....like to Tease him...

Thanks to all of you, wow I really miss this place.

Good news, and part of the reason Im away....Ron and I are finally getting MARRIED...May 9th...Ive been so busy w/wedding plans, and we are getting married in St. Thomas

Love to all of you!!

Amanda, Ron, Snoopy, and Marbles!!

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Its lovely to hear from you as well. Congratulations on your wedding plans! You'll have to have Snoopy and Marbles as page-boys!!
Glad Snoopy has calmed down.Marbles sounds full of mischief.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Originally Posted By: Pegasus
As to answer ?s
It is only with food/toys
We do leave them alone together, outside the crate
And Yes, Marbles is ALWAYS trying to take stuff from Snoopy, sometime just to get Snoopy to chase him, to play and run w/him, others b/c he is FOOD driven!!
Then he sits and wines and wines b/c he wants what Snoopy has even though we give them equal treats and toys.
It sounds like resource guarding more than anything else.

Snoopy sounds like he is getting annoyed with Marbles. From your description, it sounds like Snoopy has given Marbles lots of warnings but Marbles doesn't listen to them hence the 'aggression' escalating.

Two of my dogs are extremely food driven, I had a similar problem with Daisy who would constantly annoy the other dogs and bark at them if they had something she wanted. I had to teach her to leave them be, and that it wasn't acceptable to carry on in such a fashion. She had to learn to control her food drive. Part of that was also teaching her that I control all the resources and they aren't hers to take from the other dogs.

Good luck with it and congrats on your wedding!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts