Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we got her she got sick for the first two days. The vet told us to put her on a bland diet. She LOVED eating chicken, hamburger, and rice all day. Now that she is better I've slowly started switching her over to her new dog food that I bought her (Solid Gold). The vet told me not to put her on her old food that the owner gave me (Ol' Roy) because it might be the cause of her getting sick. Well now I can't get her to eat any Solid Gold unless it's canned. I've tried mixing it with the canned, and she just pushes all the rest of the dried food off her plate. I've tried adding a little water too, but no luck.
Anyone else have this trouble with this kind of food? Trying to figure out what the deal is. I thought it might be that she isn't use to solid food that much, but at the vet she ate a ton of cookies every one gave her. She ate those practically whole! Does it sound like she doesn't like it or what?? I hate messing with her tummy. She is also on meds for coccidiosis, but I can't see why that would have any effect, especially since she inhales every thing else. She's been through so many different ways of eating this past week I hate to switch her again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
786 Posts
My girls are finicky eaters. So what I did was with their dry food they get a teaspoon of canned food and I mix it around. Sort of try to have each piece get some canned food on it and its the only way I can get them to eat the dry food. Also I have done the same with canned pumpkin. They both loved the pumpkin...

Good luck!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Do you let her food soak in warm water until really mushy? Maybe she just likes that consistency better. Other than that I guess just like pfr said just a little canned to it for now.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes - I would think any med can have an affect on the appetite - I know it can with people and don't forget, Java is a very young pup so I would think the chances are even greater. I am not familiar with the treatment for coccidosis but still, you never know what can have an ill effect. Also, if the people at the vet were giving her many treats/dog cookies - she may have an upset tummy. How is she acting otherwise - playful, going potty regularly, drinking ok - with any dog their usual behavior is also a good sign of something amiss. Also, when you change foods - since you have had dogs before you probably know to mix old with new and do it over a few days.

Gotta get bak to work - hope you get more responses. And like pfr said, some dogs can just be finicky.

·
Registered
443 Posts
And yes, I agree with your vet about NOT going back to Ol'Roy dog food - it is not a good dog food anyway. Also, dog food with any corn products - corn oil, corn meal, corn gluten, etc. - can cause problems with alot of dogs - best to stay away from them. There is a thread on here about dog food - very informative, lots of great info.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
When Maggie was a pup, she had giardia and the medication did seem to affect her appetite or maybe it was the giardia that affected her appetite, either way she had a short period of time where she was a picky eater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts